Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Slow Evening In the Trophy

Running from Chuck's Point to SPSI about 1/3 way there
Setting Sun Over Channel Inn Bay when I arrived at SPSI
7:00-9:30PM Green Cabin Bay, Chuck's Point, SPSI, GOMHIT
Conditions: 73-70℉, Mostly Sunny, Light N wind & Calm
Water Temp: 76℉

We had heavy rains at the lake this morning, so I had to get the boat drained first thing.  That took about 20 minutes.  Then the motor wouldn't start because it wasn't getting any juice.  I took the cowling off and there was a little bit of weeds under the flywheel.  What the ???. I cleared out the weeds and then it immediately turned over.  I put the cowling back on and it started right up.  I headed to Green Cabin Bay instead of across from the public access in a last second decision.
10.5"  Ish's Phat (Brown)
I got that dink on my very first cast.  A couple casts later I had something slash at me and not get it.  I had a pike jump out of the water at me by two guy dock.  Nothing was going on at the inlet.  I could hear water flowing in.  I then B lined to Chuck's Point.  I could hear water flowing in there. I had something small hit me there.  I had a pike come after me in the reeds,  I got an 11.5" bass as I worked down the reeds.  Conditions seemed perfect and there was occasional baitfish activity, but nothing was going on the surface.  I did try the craw tube for a while as well and didn't even have a pick up with that.  I put treble hook lures on and tried outside the reeds briefly.  I headed to the South point of the small island at about quarter to 9PM.  A pontoon boat was just leaving leaving the area as I arrived. Don't know if they were fishing or not.
15" Jackall Pompadour
A fish got blasted in the reeds behind me
 I only got this one bite on SPSI.  There was some fish activity, but they were up and gone in a flash.  Probably pike.  I then headed to the GOMH.  Something completely missed the SBKO under the bridge.  Sounded like a pike that launched itself, but I didn't see it.  I then got a 15" jumper on the SBKO.  The skeeters were terrible by the time I got the fish weighed.  I put on my rain gear and threw a few more casts and had to get out of there.
Fricken Frack
My plan was to get past the islands and then put my treble hook baits away with the boat slowly moving in forward.  I had all but one bait put away when I had to go to the back of the boat to take it out of gear because a pontoon was coming toward me.  Obviously, I knocked my box over as I went to do that.  Just fricking magnificent.  A couple of baits were hooked to my rain pants.  I don't know if the pontoon was trolling or what, but they sure came in close to me.  I was preoccupied getting hooks out of my clothes and shoe to notice what they were up to.  Eventually I got the mess straightened out and headed home.
Another pathetic trip
4 Bass
3 Pike

No comments: