Monday, April 17, 2017

The Moon Poked Through And The Slabbers Came Out

13.5" Glow Demon & Minnow
3:30-7:30AM GOMH SW
Conditions: 39-36℉, Mostly Cloudy until the sun came up, NW Wind, water flowing into Sullivan

So the moon wasn't set to rise until after 1:15AM this morning.  I putzed around until a little after 3AM.  When I took the dogs out at about 2:40 I could see the moon through the clouds. When I got to the GOMH, the clouds had thickened up.  I decided to try the NE side first.  I spent maybe 20 minutes there and didn't get a bite.  I then went to the SW side and fished for about half an hour getting nothing.  I was just about to leave when the moon poked through the clouds.  The lighted bobber went down about 7 seconds later.
11.9" Glow Demon & Minnow
It was nearly a 12" slabber bullhead.  I decided to put it in the bucket and see if I could get more.  I then landed a 9.5" on pretty much my next cast.  I threw that bullhead back.  I had trouble getting the hook out of the roof of it's mouth and I bent the hook some.  I had another bite, but missed it; I believe because of the way the hook was bent.  I got the forceps out and got the hook situation straightened out.  The moon had disappeared by now.  I cast out to the sweet spot and the bobber went down again.  The fish was a true pig. I thought it might even have a shot at being a new personal best, but it came up .75 of an inch short of that at 13.5".   Still a really nice slab that was just to big to keep, so I released it.  I thought if I get a fish on the next cast I might be on to something.  Sure enough the bobber went under again.
13" Demon & Minnow
But just like that they either moved or quit biting.  About an hour later I had a quick two fish flurry (10.75, 12.25").  I kept the 12.25" sb.


16" Demon & Minnow


    The clouds cleared off to the South where the moon sits.  I had to warm up in the car for 10 minutes.  I got a couple nice jumpin' bullheads and then the sun came up.  Everything quit biting by 6:30AM.  I stayed until 7:30AM.  I forgot my sunglasses at home, but at least I had the Strike King ball cap in the car.  The sun was also high enough in the sky that I wasn't totally blinded as I headed East.

4 Silver Slabbers
2 Silvers
2 jumpers

No comments: