Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Silver & Gold, No Skunk

I took a morning and evening trip today
24.5" Skunk Saver
6:15-8:15AM GOMH SW NE & Bulldog
Conditions: 34-31℉, Partly Cloudy, Light NW wind

I got out after 2 days of not fishing. I was to lazy to go before it rained on Sunday, big mistake. And yesterday was cold and windy.  I thought maybe the warm rain on Sunday would have held the fish despite the cold front that rolled through. Nope.  Fish weren't around this morning for the most part.  I did have a hit by a pike and maybe a couple of hits under the bridge fishing the NE side.  Nothing at Bulldog and I decided blinding myself wasn't a good idea.

Evening Trip:
24.25" Glow Demon & Minnow
7:00-7:30PM Rock Dock
7:35-8:15PM Bulldog (Holy Family & Access)
8:20PM-1:00AM GOMH SW NE

I wanted to start at Bulldog, but people were there so I went to Rock instead.  Didn't have a bite there.  I went back to Bulldog. People were still there so I went to Holy Family Access.  I thought I saw a sign of fish off to the left.  Sure enough I got a couple of bites there but didn't hook up.  I heard the people fishing the access depart, so I quickly went there.  I got a couple of bites, but didn't hook anything again.

I headed off to the GOMH next.  There was a guy fishing the SE side. so I went down on the SW side.  Just as I put my stuff down Dad called.  While I was on the phone with him I went up to the car and got the rake and started raking weeds for Lantern Man.  After I got off the phone I finished raking and talked to the guy who hadn't gotten anything. He left a little before 9PM right as Lantern Man and the Bullhead Boys showed up.  LM took the SE side and BB's took the N side.

Nothing was biting until the full moon was a ways up in the sky.  The Bullhead Boy who likes to bass fish came over to chat for a little bit.  He hit a deer and rolled his car since I saw him last week.
Not a silver
LM got the first silver as he was getting his line out of the weeds.  He got a small one with his line 3 feet down from the bobber.  I switched to that.  I was fishing in the current flow just out from the bridge when the first golden hit me.  Good thing I had done the raking.  I landed the eye, took a few pics and back she went.  She ended up turning around and sticking her face in the rocks.  Silly bullhead.  I used the rake to help send her back out into the lake.
10.25" Glow Demon & Minnow
  I then quickly got two silvers in pretty quick succession about a foot and a half in from where I got the golden in the slack water current seam.
12.25" Demon & Minnow
Naturally I cast right back into the seam again.  This time it was another golden.
24" Demon & Minnow
I thought maybe it was the same fish as before, but this one was a bit shorter.  I released this one and it didn't move until I poked it with my rod.  It didn't like that and bolted.  A beaver came by and made a ruckus. We didn't catch any more fish.  LM left at about 11:15PM.  I stayed until 1AM, but I spent some time dealing with a problem in one of my reels that inexplicably locked up. Looks like I'll be sending it to Daiwa. I did give the NE side about 20 minutes and didn't have a bite.  Current was moving into Platte at that point.

No comments: