Saturday, May 28, 2016

GOMH Gives, Mille Lacs Doesn't, And Slop Slipping Rock

18.75" Horny Toad
Last Fish of the Day
4:30-6:40 GOMH NE
6:50-7:10 Bulldog (Nothing)
7:30-9:30 Mille Lacs
Conditions:  Mid 50's to low 60's, calm then a light N wind, cloudy

When I arrived there was somebody fishing the SW side who hadn't gotten anything.  We talked for a little bit then I went down to the NE side.  After about 15 minutes he got a golden bullhead and about 10 minutes later I got one around the same size that I gave to him.  Camera was not totally on the fritz.
18.5" STX  Deadly Black Illusion
About 10 minutes later I got me a jumper on the Deadly Black Illusion.
13" STX
Some other people showed up so fishing on the South side was  out.  Some fish had occasionally been breaking across the way along the wild rice line.  I made a good cast and got this one on the Stanley Phantom.
15" Stanley Phantom
A guy went to the NW side as I was releasing that one.  He got one small jumper on a worm.  I staid longer than I should have.  I went to Bulldog and didn't get a bite.

At Mille Lacs there was a guy fishing on the North Jetty where I got my fish yesterday.  I went to the Center Jetty.  The guy said he gotten 3 eyes and a pike. He said one of the eyes was 30".   Waves were coming in heavy enough to spray me occasionally.  The guy left and came back with his kid.  He got a 16" smallie and let the kid reel it in.  He did that with another fish, but it broke him off.  I didn't get a single bite.  I really should have brought a rod to throw Football Heads with.

I went home and watched Major League Fishing while it was raining and then got the trolling motor out of the box.  I had to turn the head 180 degrees.  Doing that took about 45 minutes.  I didn't get out to Rock until about 5:25.  I got the Slop Slip all set up and was on the water by 5:45PM

5:45-9PM
Conditions: 60's, Very light wind to calm, mostly cloudy
The pads are up
  I went to the Rock Platte River Outlet.  The water level has got to be pretty close to as low as it gets.  The plan was to run to the Beaver Dam and then fish my way back.  I ran aground and wasn't sure if I'd be able to make it so I started fishing.  I got a 16.5" almost immediately out of the pads on the Horny Toad.
16.5" Horny Toad
I missed what I think was a big Bowfin.  I then started getting pike on a brown Ish's Phat Frog.  I did get down by the Beaver Dam and missed a fish.  I caught a 15", 17" and a 16.5" down there on the Phat Frog.
17" Ish's Frog
 I also missed a few hits.  A young guy in a Skeeter came down by the Island.  I talked to him as I started heading back.  He was getting a few fish.  I got a 15.75" bass and an 18" and 19" pike on the Horny Toad as I fished my way out along the South side.  Another bass boat was also in the RPRO.  I missed what I thought was going to be my last fish of the night, but then I got the 18" in the Reeds when I was on my way to the landing.  I was surprised there were no trailers in the lot because there were a bunch of boats on the lake.

Bass Opener Score Card
8 Largemouth
6 Pike
1 Walleye


No comments: