Sunday, May 22, 2016

Weird Morning At the GOMH

17.75" D & M Baits Piranha
4:45-7:30AM GOMH NE SW
Conditions: 47-64, mostly sunny, S wind

I wanted to get to the GOMH by 4:30 because it's the weekend, but Kaylee insisted on going out before I left.  I ended up forgetting a ball cap.  So there is a super rare look at my bald melon on this post.  I was going to take a picture of the full moon this morning but the camera was on the fritz and I couldn't get it to work. After a couple of minutes of that I gave up.

Baitfish were getting picked off under the bridge before I even had my rods rigged up.  Usually that means I'll be getting a bullhead sooner rather than later. Except no bite came.  After 10 minutes and plenty of other bullheads plugging baitfish someone else showed up and went down on the SW side.  The baitfish continued to get hit with me not getting hit.  I heard the other guy go up and get his bucket so I assume he got at least one golden bullhead.  Basically the same scenario played out as I tried to figure out a bait they would hit.  I hung a Grass Pig up and lost it.  After 45 minutes the sun was coming up and I was spun out.

I tried throwing the Whopper Plopper for a pre-sunrise topwater hit casting out by the buoy's and under the bridge.  Nothing.  The sun was now up so I tried the Horny Toad over the now floating rice to the East along the shoreline.  There hadn't been any activity there this morning and I didn't see a sign of a fish.  I was now over an hour without a bite.  Thoughts of more people arriving and me getting a skunk entered my head.  I retied a Norman Speed Clip on the rod that had the Grass Pig on it and put the silver Piranha with a swamp gas Grass Pig Jr. on the clip.  I made a cast along the near wall and it was jumpin' bullhead on.  I almost got the camera to work, but then the 14" fish flopped off the stairs into the rocks.  I grabbed the fish and threw it back.  I did get the camera to work.
As I went to go back fishing the other guy left.  So I immediately packed up and went to the SW side.  On about my 10th cast I got the 17.75" on the Piranha and a couple of casts later I got a 21.5" toothy.  That was it for the Piranha.  I started throwing the Whopper Plopper and got a toothy from under the bridge.
19.25" R2S Whopper Plopper
I then got three small jumpers (13.5, 12.5, 13.75) and a small toothy (17) on Yabbie.  The sun was now in my eyes unless I bent down about a foot. Baitfish were still getting bashed in the tunnel when I left.

I've had worse mornings at the GOMH on weekends at this time of year.  8 bullheads with one close to 4lbs isn't bad at all.  I'll take it all day on Sunday.

No comments: