Sunday, May 08, 2016

Sunrise & I Missed A Dogfish



5:45-8:00AM
Condtions: 36-54 degrees, mostly cloudy, calm then a light S wind

There was somebody fishing the SW side when I arrived.  I was planning on fishing the NE side to start anyway.  The guy hadn't gotten anything in the half hour he was there.  I started fishing the Swim Shad and missed one bite.  I then started casting the Horny Toad.   Not much was going on and I was about to put it down when what I am 80% sure was a dogfish rose up and waked behind it for 8 to 10 feet.  I stopped the toad and it nailed it.  I got a little anxious and set the hooket about a second to early.  The Toad came flying back at me.  I cast at the area for the next 5 minutes, but couldn't raise it again.  Then I cast the craw tube for 10 minutes getting nothing.  I started throwing the Horny Toad again and got a small pike.  The guy came over to talk while I was taking the fish off.  He didn't catch anything.  I thought he had gotten a couple because there was a lot of baitfish activity under the bridge.  He left.  I tried the small X-Rap and missed a bite on that.  Since nothing was happening I went to the SW side.

I got me a lunker on the Horny Toad.
9.5" Zoom Horny Toad
I did get some jumpers and toothy's on the small X-Rap.  A guy came trying for oranges and didn't get any so he went to the N side.  The guy and his kids who were on the NE side showed up and fished the NE side.  I left at 8AM.

No comments: