Wednesday, May 18, 2016

OK Morning And Evening, Nada At Mille Lacs

Got out a bit late this morning

To bad because it would have been gorgeous at sunrise with the mist
16.25" Chigger Craw
6:30-9:30AM GOMH SW
Conditions: 33-60 degrees, Calm, Sunny

It got below freezing and I didn't wake up right away and I took my time getting out to the GOMH.  I went right to the SW side.  I thought I might be in trouble when nothing bit on topwater and chatter jigs, but then I started getting jumpers on the Chigger Craw. I also got three toothy's on the Jerk Shad.  The guy that fishes at Bulldog stopped while I was sight fishing from the bridge.  I told him what I was getting.  He had never heard of a Chigger Craw.  I was going to leave when I went and checked the North side of the bridge.  There was a school of keeper sized jumpers swimming around so I went and sight fished for them.  I got 3 of them before a boat came through and they scattered.  I missed a bunch of bites this morning, probably small jumpers on the Chigger Craw. I ended up with 8 jumper total with 6 of them being at least 15 inches or bigger.

I was jonesing to go to Mille Lacs and sight fish because it was dead calm, but I didn't do it.

6-8PM Mille Lacs, Whitefish Culvert and Camp
Very Light SW wind wrecked my visibility.  Didn't see anything.  I stopped at the culvert and Camp Lake didn't get anything.
18" Slush Daddy Red Ear Sunfish

8:20-9:20PM Bulldog Lake
Calm, Mostly Sunny, 60 degrees

Caught a couple on the Slush Daddy.  The all head no body fish was the first one to grab it.  It's a shame, that fish should weigh about twice what it does.  I had the Chigger Craw get bit off and picked up two 13" bass on a Craw Fatty.

9:30-11PM GOMH SW NE
16.5" Pure Poison White
When I arrived there was a Guy and who I assume is his son fishing bullheads on the NE side over by the first buoy.  I went down on the SW side.  I missed a bite then hooked up with the 16 on the Pure Poison.  Stuff was getting hit in the tube, but I couldn't get anything to hit me so I switched to the NE side with the talkative guy and his kid.  I was just about to give up when I hooked this golden in the top of it's head with the X-Rap.
16" X-Rap Albino Shiner
The guy who had been talking about eyes being under bridges was surprised I caught one, even though I told him that was what I was fishing for.  I offered to give it to them, but the elected to throw it back.  About 15 minutes later I got another one that they insisted I keep, which I did.
19.75" Jerk Shad Crackle
 I fished until 11 then left.

 

No comments: