Monday, May 16, 2016

Early Mille Lacs And GOMH Trip

Waiting for the sun to rise

And for the bullheads to tell me they were ready to eat
12:30-3:30AM Mille Lacs
4:15-6:45AM GOMH NE SW
Conditions: 40's, Mostly clear, light N wind turning calm at daybreak.
I decided not to bring the net and go get it if it proved that I needed it.
I should have left about an hour earlier because by the time I arrived at Eddy's the wind had calmed down quite a bit.  There was still some wave action so I was hopeful.  About 20 minutes in I had something grab my Rippin Rap.
Or Not!
Casting and all the lures I tried was a work in futility until about 2AM when I had a hit on the KVD Strobe Shad Jerkbait.  I brought the fish in further than I should have before making my move from the rocks to the dock.  As I stepped up on shore the fish surged really hard and my line broke.  I was not a happy camper.  Not sure if it was a pike/muskie or a walleye, but I'm pretty sure losing the KVD was my fault.  I tried lures in the Strobe Shad color without any success.  Then I put on a larger clown color Husky Jerk and caught a walleye on the first cast.

13.5" Husky Jerk Old Clown
After casting for about 10 more minutes with nothing to show I took 3 rods with me and headed for the dock.  Unfortunately I backlashed the Husky Jerk, then my upper back started really bugging me, so I quit.

Even though I had been awake now for over 24 hours.  I wasn't tired so I headed to the GOMH.  Nothing was biting right away.  I stopped fishing and enjoyed the beauty of the morning as the sun was coming up.  The fish let me know when they were ready to eat by crushing something under the bridge.  I had this golden on in no time.
14" Grass Pig
 Then I got a toothy.
20.25" Grass Pig
I got one other toothy on the Grass Pig and missed something on an Albino X-Rap.



It was now time to head to the SW side.  I got a toothy over there on a Pure Poison.  Then a toothy on the H2O XPress LCR.  I then dropped a good fish.  Then I got my first legal jumper of the year on the LCR.
14" H2O Xpress LCR
I got one last jumper on the Albino X-Rap.  I got the backlash taken out of my reel from Mille Lacs and went home and slept the rest of the day away.

No comments: