Saturday, May 21, 2016

That Kind of Sucked

7" Pumpkinseed Stanley Phantom Tomato
5:30-10:15PM
Conditions: 70's, light SE wind turning calm, mostly sunny, full moon

I put the Slop Slip in at the Holy Family access at around 5:10.  I then paddled to the center of the South shoreline by a downed tree.  Saw a lot of sunfish no bass.  I worked my way to the SE corner where I got the sunfish.  The older guy in the little bass boat and his wife fished by me.  He told me I was in his favorite spot.  He hugged the shoreline working N.  I staid out a little further slowly drifting North.  I had a pike try to get the Horny Toad on my first cast with it.  Eventually I settled into some thicker reeds and put the anchor down.  There was some activity but the fish just didn't want topwater.  I caught a 14" bass by letting the Horny Toad sink where I knew the fish was sitting. I didn't take a picture of because surely I would catch a bigger one.  The wind died after 7PM and there started to be some activity on the surface so I started heading for the SW corner.  I broke off the Tomato Phantom on a cast and went and got it.  Something got hit close by shore so I went in to investigate.  I learned there were more trees in the water and saw some crappies and one little bass.  I had something half heartily strike at Phantom.  I had a pike rush and strike at the Phantom missing it.  The beaver made a racket which I didn't appreciate.  I caught a 21" pike out of some pads by shore.  I had a small pike get off in the pads out front of the beaver lodge.  The sun was setting when I broke off the Phantom on two consecutive casts.  Going and getting it wasted precious minutes in prime time.   I finally had a good bass get after the Horny Toad, but it jumped and got off.  I think it was a 16 incher.  That was my last hit.  The mosquito's weren't bad and the moon was full so I staid out until after 10PM

I should have looked for fish and not stopped until I saw them.

No comments: