Sunday, May 15, 2016

Mille Lacs Bust, GOMH Saves Me From A Skunk

At Least One Other Psycho Out Before Sunrise Today
4:15-5:00AM Mille Lacs
5:30-6:15AM GOMH Inlet

I didn't get out of bed until about 2:30AM.  Temp in Hillman was 28 degrees with light winds out of the West.  I wasn't that psyched to get out to Mille Lacs.  I left the house at a quarter to 4.  Air temp at Mille Lacs was 33 degrees with just a slight ripple on the water.  I didn't get a bite and bailed at 5.

I was fairly certain nobody would be at the GOMH and I was right.  Air temp 31 degrees.  I was surprised to see the boat off of the small Island.  I went down on the SW side and after my first few casts with nothing I was a bit concerned.  But then on my second cast under the bridge I had a strike from this toothy.
20.5" SK Pure Poison white
 Whew!  I was worried I might get a skunk today.  Didn't get another bite.  I went down and tried the Inlet, nothing.  I was surprised there were 4 boats fishing a break down there.  I left quickly after getting nothing.

We really need some more rain.

Afternoon Trip:
3:00-6:00PM
Windy out of the SW, mostly sunny, temps in the low 60s

I wanted to throw some topwaters, so I went fishing.  At Bulldog a family came in just as I was getting started, so I went to HFA.  Got nothing there.  The Mom and kids were having a picnic, so I went to Rock and there was a boat at the launch, so I went to our place.  I helped dad load a snow blower and my Fish Trap on the trailer.  I didn't get anything out front or at Jenny's.  Last stop was at the GOMH.  Nobody was there so I tried for subsurface fish on the SW side.  Didn't even get a bite.  I then went to the NE side.  I had a small pike follow the Horny Toad and I missed a fish that came off of a pad root. Peter showed up and this was his first time out for the weekend.  We talked then I left.

No comments: