Sunday, May 08, 2016

Bulldog & GOMH North Side

9.75" Glow Demon
8:00-8:45 Bulldog
9:15PM-1:45AM GOMH SE
Conditions: 62-39 degrees, Calm. Mostly Sunny, spectacular North lights display

I did wake up to my alarm in the morning but went back to bed and slept in pretty much until dinner was ready after 6PM.

As I was putting the minnows in the car I discovered that half of what I had left were now dead leaving me with about a dozen live one's and most of those were smalls.  But at least I had 3 good sticklebacks.

I went to check Bulldog and was amazed that it was open so I took it.  No sign of any dogfish on the Horny Toad.  I did get a couple of bass and a small pike on the craw tube.  I went to HFA and didn't see any dogfish sign's there either on the toad.  I got one small bass on the craw tube.

I arrived at the GOMH the same time as G.  There were people on the NE, SW, and SE side and a boat sitting off the SE side. I didn't see anyone catch anything while G and I were talking.  I elected to go to the North side and discovered the people on the NE side so I took the NW side which is the most fishermen unfriendly spot at the GOMH due to the way the rocks sit.  The kid and his dad that were fishing the NE side had gotten some oranges and some jumpers.  They started to leave after about 15 minutes.  Lantern Man showed up about the same time.  I started fishing and low and behold I got me a silver bullhead and then I got another and another.  The fourth one was big enough to keep (11.25").  Then tragedy stuck when I got another silver and my line broke.  The fish bounced off the rocks and back into the lake.  Just a little bit after that happened LM went to his car and asked me how it was going so I told him.  They hadn't been getting much.  The fish I thought they were getting was somebody else getting them.

Things slowed down on my side for quite a while after I tied on a Bear Trax Glow Demon.  The Northern Lights put on quite a display.  Lantern Man and G got a few small one's and left before 1AM.  I got 4 more of the 9 inch silvers and then ran out of minnows just as I was getting dialed into them.  I tried a few different things without any luck except for these two golden's on two different colored small X-Raps.
14" 2.5" X-Rap (6) Ghost 

16.5" 2.5" X-Rap (6) Green Back
  The fish came about 45 minutes apart.  After I got the second one I figured I better leave, so I did.

I am now only 9 crappies shy of 300 for the year.


No comments: