Saturday, May 16, 2015

Two Lures Adrift & Bullheads Save Me From A Skunking

7:00PM-12:00AM
Conditions- Mostly cloudy, little wind, temps in the high 50's

I didn't have high expectations going into last night's fishing.  I started at Bulldog.  A small bass boat with an older couple came in to pull out.  He said they got there limit.  I asked him how big and he said the biggest was about 3lbs.  He made a remark them being good eating size.  That didn't strike me as strange at the time, but bass aren't in season yet.  Anyway, I decided to try Erskine.  A fish boiled 2 long cats to the North.  I didn't get a bite.  I did backlash breaking my black Stanley Phantom off at the knot.  It was out about 25 feet.  No problem, I'd just put a Phantom on the Mojo rod and get it back.  I managed to backlash and break off the white Phantom in the picture at the reel about 35 feet out.  I couldn't get the line out of the Fuego reel, which sits on my Mojo rod, so I ended up throwing the Grass Pig and on about my third try I landed the cast right on the white Phantom ad reeled it in.  I was feeling much better about my predicament now.  It took about 15 casts for me to get the black one.  I was having trouble getting the line on the Fuego straightened out.  It took me probably 10 minutes to dig out the tag end of the line and when I got it dug out I had issues with the line continuing to be wrapped under itself.  I didn't have the room I needed to get that straightened out, so I was outta there.

I stopped at Bulldog again because there was nobody there.  I got a few casts in when a Bow fishing Boat stopped to put in.  I was off to Rock Lake.  One trailer was at the landing and the boat was coming in.  I parked out of the way and got to work on the Fuego.  I would say it was a good 20 minutes before I had that situation in hand.  The boat had long since left.  It was beginning to get dark.  I didn't get anything.
11.5" Glow Demon w/minnow
I arrived at the GOMH at 9:20.  There was a group of rowdy foul mouthed bullhead bullhead fishermen fishing off the bridge. They hadn't gotten anything yet.  I went down on the SW side, before I had my line in the water they were bringing in a bullhead.  It didn't take long and I had a silver on and a good one at that.  I was glad to not have a skunk for the night.   The bullhead fishermen kept me entertained, especially when some walleye fishermen "citidiots" stopped bye.  I ended up keeping 7 silvers, throwing one back, giving one to the bullhead fishermen, as well a a small toothy.  I left at midnight.
19" Glow Demon
    

No comments: