Thursday, May 28, 2015

Made the Right Calls Again Tonight

19" Outcast Beaver
7:50-10:15PM
Conditions: Mostly sunny, comfortable, breeze out of the South, mosquito's not to bad.  Was a warm day with temps in the low 80's.

I had to get out in this beautiful weather.  I made the call to go to the inlet on Sullivan first even though I hadn't caught anything there this year yet..  Despite getting stuck behind a Schwans truck on the dirt road it proved to be the right call.  I started out throwing a Lunkerhunt Lunker Frog.  I missed a good fish on that.   I'm pretty sure it was a bass.  Then I went to fishing the culvert with the Outkast Beaver.  I caught the 19" sow on the first cast.  One fish makes the whole trip worth it.  I caught a 14.25", then I had another good fish tail walk in the Culvert mouth and get off.  I would say it was 18"-19".

I then headed to the Platte River Culvert.  I had what I think was a big dogfish blow up on the Lunkerhunt frog down river a ways.  I then skipped the GOMH, where nobody was fishing and bypassed the access at Bulldog where a family was packing and went to the Holy Family access.  There I caught a dink on the Lunkerhunt frog.  A couple casts later I saw a wake coming for it.  I let it sit and the dog bit.
23" Lunkerhunt Lunker frog in "Croaker" color
 Another fish that made the drive worth it.  I stopped at the access on my way back to the GOMH and got a good one on a black/blue craw tube.
15.75" Craw tube b/b
At the GOMH the rowdy bullhead fishermen that likes to bass fish was just getting started fishing for bullheads with a kid.  The lure that was left the other night wasn't his.  I didn't get a bite.  They had a fish break off as they tried to lift it up to the bridge.  He thought it was a golden bullhead.  A little later he hooked into a 16" jumper that went in the pail.  He said any bigger and he throws 'em back, so there is that.  He lamented the fact that fishing for them isn't what it was a couple of years ago.  I view that as largely due to the earlier ice off, low water this year, and the lack of stable weather.  


No comments: