Thursday, May 21, 2015

Perfect Night For Topwater

15" Stanley Phantom
7:30-8:05PM Rock Lake
8:15-9:35PM Bulldog Lake
10:00-10:45PM GOMH

Conditions- Sunny, clear, warm, wind dying to nothing

Somebody was at Bulldog, so I went to Rock Lake first.  One trailer in the lot and a car from a kayak fisherman. I didn't catch anything but had my Fluke tail get bit off on my Ebay Chatter Jig.  A kid fishing from shore caught a good size Perch by the over hanging tree to the South.  I left when the boat was coming in.

Bulldog was now open, but nothing there.  Stuff was getting hit on top, so I decided to try up at the Holy Family access.  I was throwing the H2O XPress Slush Minnow that I just got in the mail today. A nice fish crushed it and I was bringing it in when it came off.
Looks like I need to upgrade the hooks for this bait.  I also had a fish boil on a Horny Toad.  I didn't think to throw back with a Phantom, which I could of cast that far, duh!  I did throw a jig and didn't get hit.  I went back to the access.  It just wasn't happening and it was fairly dark now.  I thought conditions were perfect and I was gonna get skunked, when the 15" lit up my Phantom.  I might have had one more hit as well.

I arrived at the GOMH and one car was there.  It was one of the rowdy bullhead fisherman and possibly his girlfriend.  They were fishing for silvers and had gotten one.  They were tangled up, so I got my lantern to help them.  He was looking forward to Saturday, so he could throw his bass topwaters which he showed me;  It was an impressive collection.  He wasn't aware of the early catch and release season.  I informed him about it.  He asked me about Indians netting P/S.  The more I think about it, the more I am doubtful it happened.  Their nets would be full of hammerhandles and bass, not what Indians are looking for.

I didn't get a hit and left when I realized how late it was.  The channel buoy's were put in Platte Lake today.

No comments: