Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Very Good Night For Me, Not So Much For Steve

3.26lbs/18" Yum Dinger 5" (W/R)
5:00-10:00PM Docks Across the Bay & 3 Loon, NW Shore with Steve
Conditions: 73-67℉, Partly Cloudy, Wind WSW WNW 4-10MPH
16.5" Terminator Jig (Black/Red) Craw Fatty (b/b)
So I started out fishing docks across from our cabin starting at "The Dock".  Actually, I started at the pine tree and got snagged.  I was lucky to get my jig back.  I then got a little pike off of the dock before "The Dock."   I got a 12" off of "The Dock" immediately.  I then had a fish hang me on the jet ski lift on my next cast.  I let the lure stay snagged and cast underneath with a Hack Jig and had a fish pick it up, but drop it before I set the hook.  That was it for "The Dock". I worked my way West and could pretty much call my shot as bass were on the docks tonight.  I came to that realization after not planning my casts properly and missing a couple.  Not every dock had a fish and I put on a minor clown show, but I was catching fish and not getting too frustrated.  It seemed like I would catch a fish and lose a claw off the Craw Fatty.  I had a pike steal my jig by the willow tree.  Then hung the Buzz Toad Buzzbait on the point dock.  I then ran to the point at 3 Loon Flat.  I messed around in the reeds not getting a bite.  I caught a 12 incher off the first dock.  There was a boat coming towards me from just West of F Flat with 3 guys in it.  Apparently, there was a league out tonight, but they were the only bite I saw.  I caught 3 and missed 3 fish before we passed each other.  I don't think I got a fish after I passed them, but I did miss one I think. 
17" Mad Maxx (Bluegrass)
Steve called me back and I went to pick him up.  His report from Jenny's Reeds in the kayak yesterday had me taking us to the NW Bay.  I started out by the big rice patch.  Steve had a bite right away and his line broke.  We got the Bobby's Perfect frog back, fortunately.  It wasn't until we got up by shore that we got another bite.  The 17-incher hit my frog then swim toward me while I had the boat moving towards it.  Finally, I got caught up and was able to turn the motor off.  I then caught a 14.25" and I think Steve missed a fish.  I asked him if we should proceed North or South.  He chose North.  I got 16.25 in the reeds and 17" over by the Pike Bullrushes on the Maxx.  I also got a small pike in the PB. Over by "The Juice" I got 16.25" in the rice on Maxx.  I had a fish wake up to Maxx very dogfish like on dogfish point.  It just nipped at the frog like a doggy as well.  I threw back to the spot with a Yum Dinger and I was pleasantly surprised that the dogfish was actually an 18.25" bass.
3.35lbs/18.25" Yum Dinger 5" (W/R)
I threw back to the spot and immediately picked up another 18-inch fish.  Steve had a fish miss his frog while I was getting the 18's.  I had him throw out a craw tube, but he didn't get any hits on that.  I caught a 16.5" on Maxx out of the rice of The Juice.  Steve was pretty frustrated at this point as I was up on him 10 fish to none.  He had fish knock his frog up in the air, but after repeated casts and nothing he gave up.  I threw over and 17.75-incher blew Maxx Up.  Sometimes that's the way fishing goes.  Steve was skunked for the trip.
3.10lbs/17.75" Mad Maxx (Bluegrass)
   
17.94lbs Best 6 Bass of the Night
21 Bass
6 Pike

My thoughts:  I am encouraged to see multiple 3 plus fish in one trip.  Maybe the post-spawn funk is over.

No comments: