Friday, June 15, 2018

GOMH, A Tip from A Muskrat and Loon, and a Windy Evening Trip


4:45-7:00AM GOMH
7:30-10:30AM Reeds Across the Way, Loon Sex Point
Conditions: 64-74℉, Cloudy to mostly Cloudy, Calm to 20 Plus out of the ESE
Water Temp: 68℉
2nd bullhead of the morning first was a toothy
Rain Delay spent in the car listing to the U2 Experience.
Thunderstorms had been taken off the morning forecast, but the weather had other plans.  I arrived at the GOMH at a quarter to 5.  I lost my first two hits.  The first felt like a jumper, but I had a golden fool me once last year when it went full jumper by hitting a topwater and jumping during the fight so who knows.  The other fish hit and didn't hook up.  First fish was a toothy on the Rippin Rap.  The panfish guy showed up a little after 5AM as I was landing the toothy.  I got the jumper then I saw some lightening to the NW.  I got a few dink jumpers on the Gunfish 117 and the new chatterjig I got from eBay.  Then the rain delay happened due to lightning.
15.25" Fatty on the eBay Vet CJ/Swim Fluke (Grey/GP)
I caught the fatty after the rain delay and stayed too long.  It was calm when I left and loading the boat.  By the time I started out wind had come up out of the ENE.  That wasn't the forecasted direction which was SSE.  With the way the wind was, I decided to scrap my plan of going to LSP and start on the north end of the reeds across the way where it was calm.  I missed my first 4 bites or so on the Toad Runner, probably pike.  Then I caught a couple pike.
The bass the muskrat helped me catch
15.25" Terminator Frog
So this big old muskrat swims by the boat and I asked it if it had seen any bass.  It told me it saw some in swimming around in the thick reeds.  I put the next cast in the thickest reed clump I could see and immediately had a bass blast my frog.  That ole muskrat was no liar.  Between the two reed beds, there was a loon just hanging out.  I asked it if it had any tips for me.  It told me to try over by the reed point I was heading for.  I caught a 16-inch fish there.  The wind picked up out of the ESE.  I headed to LSP and it was blowing like a mofo.  I got a couple of pike at the intersection off the end of the point on the eBay CJ and Bluegrass Maxx.  I then anchored my way down the point and got a 16.25" on Maxx.  I missed a few fish as well.  I decided to call it a day and my trolling motor rope broke.  We will call that experiment a failure.  While I was trying to get that straightened out I noticed a rope that would work perfectly just sitting in the bottom of my battery compartment.  Dad must have put it there this Spring for me to use as a backup motor starting rope.  It even has a handle.  As I was trying to fish out the broken section to be able to lift up the bracket it started thundering, so I headed in.  I was able fish out the section on shore but wasn't to keen on fixing things in the rain, so I got my stuff in the car and left it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
16.6" Toad Runner (Sunburn)
7:30-9:30PM Starting Spot, SE Corner Inlet Bay
Conditions: 80-76℉, Partly Cloudy, Windy Windy Windy
Water Temp: 71℉

I had intended to get out by 7 but that trolling motor rope and  a few other odds and ends needed attention.  It was blowing pretty good out of the ENE so I elected to go up to the starting spot and drift West.  I lost a 14-incher as I tried to boat flip it right away.  Other than a couple pike and one good hit that I missed that was it for the starting spot.  The wind switched out of the ESE about the time I got to the Spot.  I then headed to the one place I knew I could get some calm water in the SE corner of Inlet Bay. I got a couple of pike there on the Terminator.  I switched up to the Toad Runner and had the bass light it up.  I was so glad to get that fish.  I drifted out of the corner getting a few pike on the Toad Runner and missing a couple bites as well.  The sunset was magnificent.
Best 6 Bass for the Day

     

No comments: