Thursday, June 07, 2018

GOMH & Long Day On the Water

5:00-6:00AM GOMH NE SW
Conditions: 58℉, Mostly Cloudy, Light E wind when not calm
Water Temp: 64℉
11" Rippin Rap (Sexy shad)
Nothing but a very minor dinkfest at the GOMH this morning.  Got them on the Rippin Rap, Jerk Shad, and a couple on the FishingSir Vixen.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.04/17" Craw Tube (Black/Blue)
6:30AM-5:00PM SPSI, River, SPRO, Intersection, Starting Spot, Double Cane Point
Conditions: 63-73℉, Partly Cloudy, Wind light to  blowing pretty good SE E NE
Water Temp: 64-72℉

Longest day I have spent on the water in years, but I never got tired.   I had enough water to drink and temps were comfortable so I just kept at it.  First stop was the South Point of the Small Island.  I got one dink there on the Pompadour.  Then it was on to the river mouth.  I just got done telling myself to be ready for a hit.  When a fish did indeed hit and I wasn't ready for it.  Putz move for sure.  Nothing beyond that was going on in the river mouth until  I got a little way in.  I traded off small pike and 14-inch bass along the southern shoreline on the Sparrow Bobby's Perfect Frog.  I then got a couple bass and had some spectacular misses on the FishingSir Vixen knock off along the northern shoreline.  That was about it until I got to the bulrushes where I developed a case of the misses on the Bobby's Frog.  Finally, I got 15-incher, then got on to missing fish again.  When I got down by the dam I got a couple on the FishingSir.  I missed a couple fish coming back out on the Bobby's.  I got a 15-incher on the craw tube which I didn't stick with because I wanted those frog blow ups which came, but I missed again.  

It was now 11AM and I was finally out of the river into the SPRO.  I got a 16-incher on the Bobby's then lost an even bigger fish on the next cast.  That got me sucked into the rice where I caught a couple more on the Bobby's and a fish a piece on the black Mad Maxx, bluegrass Mad Maxx, LiveTarget Frog. At about 1:30 I had to get out of that rice.  I decided to hit the SW corner of the intersection and missed a couple of hits on a frog.  I got a dink over by the reeds and cattails and got 15.5" in the reeds over by the log in the rice on the Terminator Frog Jr.  Lucky to get that fish.  I backlashed the cast and was just about to start pulling it out when the fish blasted the frog. I immediately clicked the reel in gear and laid the wood to the fish.  The NE intersection is the most beautiful bassy looking water on the lake, but there was nothing in it that wanted my topwaters today.  Saw a lot of fry swimming around though.
15.5" Toadrunner (Sunburn)
It was now about 3PM and I was headed in when I decided to head to the North End.  There I beat my head against a wall with frogs from East of the Starting Spot all the way to Double Cane.  A lot of fry in the rice here as well.  I had a good fish bury me in the reeds off of Double Cane Point on the Toadrunner and I got a 15.5-incher on it there as well.  I finally put the topwater down and caught my biggest fish of the day out of the reeds and cabbage on the back side of Double Cane on a craw tube.  I missed one solid bite that I never set on and finished the day when pike destroyed the craw tube.  Amazingly, I wasn't totally fried yet and could have easily fish a couple more hours before I got to that point.  Must be that Mocha coffee Dad got at Rubies Pantry.
13.31lbs for my 6 Best
Not exactly a stellar day on the water, but I had fun.

For the Day
26 Bass
9 Pike    

    

No comments: