Monday, June 12, 2017

Topwater Tonight Mostly Losing Them In The Reeds

18.75" Bobby's Perfect (Brown/Chart/Red)
5:30-10:00PM Fall Flat & Reeds Across the Way Around the Maidencaine
Conditions: 77-68℉, Partly Cloudy, NE Wind but pretty much calm where I was fishing
Water Temp: 73℉

The way conditions were when I left the river had me salivating to get back out fishing ASAP. However, the cloud cover pretty much disappeared by the time I hit the water.  The way the wind was out of the NE had me planning to drift through the reed bed across the way starting on the North end.  However before I got into the reeds I got a bass on my very first cast over the flat on a Terminator Poppin' Frog.
13.9" Terminator Poppin' Frog
 It was calm over the flat with maybe a slight ripple.  I tried Ploppering the flat without any hits.  Then I went to the River2Sea Bubble Walker and I got 3 bass on that and missed just as many.
17" Bubble Walker
The 17er was a thick fish.  I then put on the chart/herring bone Shower Blows knock off.  All I could hook on that were pike.  I am sure I lost a a few bass.  The lowering sun in my eyes became an issue as I headed West.  After I got to the western edge of the flat fishing the pad area without success I decided to head to the reeds.  The fish were on and in the reeds.
First thing that happened was a pike bit off my Ish's Phat Frog, but I got it back tonight.  I missed or lost fish about 6 or 7 quality blow ups around the little maidencaine patch.  I did get a 14.5 and a 15.66 on the Ish.
Choke'd It
There were a few weed mats in the reeds.  I worked my way back to them after running out of blow ups to the South.  The big girl jumped out of the water and missed the Bobby's Perfect right by one of the weed mats.  I cast back and it hit it again.  I managed to land her.  That fish is why I put up with the frustration of losing 'em in the reeds. I think I missed 3 more after the big one, which was my last landed fish of the night.  I would say I'm currently landing about a 33% of the hits I'm getting on topwater.  I've got to improve on that.

7 Pike
7 Bass (18.75,17.5,15.6,15,14.5,14) Maybe 13lbs for my best 6



No comments: