Friday, June 09, 2017

Zebulon Pike Reservoir Mississippi River Pre-Fish #1

1st Smallie of the Day 12" Spinnerbait
11:30-2:15PM Mississippi River
Conditions: 82℉, Mostly Sunny, SSE Wind

The plan was to start fishing about where Swannie stopped fishing his first time out pre-fishing and just cover water fishing the East bank of the River.  From what I saw this section of river sets up very differently than the pool below it which I have fished a few times.  The water is up and there is a lot of laydowns and trees over the water.  I can see why former club member Joe is so fond of fishing hollow body frogs in this pool.  Swannie didn't have a whole lot of success his first trip out and the report he got from Dennis was about the same.  I started out throwing a Strike King spinnerbait and within 15 minutes I had the first smallie of the trip in the boat.  I got a 13" smallie about 10 minutes later.  I added a Speed Shad to add some bulk and got rid of the Power Clip at that point tying direct.  I then got a 13.5".  I think Swannie then got in on the action catching a couple.  I got a 16.5" and had a 16 or so jump off at the boat.  Some fish were right on the bank, some were holding on wood.

Swannie was satisfied with what we were getting so he ran up to an island.  I backlashed which allowed my spinnerbait to lay on the bottom and get snagged.  I lost it, dang it.   I put on a red double willow SK with Speed Shad trailer.  As we came back down stream on the other side of the Island I had a 15 or so Smallie take it out from a nothing bank on nothing that I could tell.  We switched back to the East shoreline.  I got one last dink and Swannie landed a good 2 plus pound fish.  That was it.  We headed in.  Running into Chuck and Lois on the way back in.  It was there first trip out.  A kid who was fishing at the ramp apparently got a really nice smallie there about 10 minutes before we got there.

Hopefully I'll get to experience fishing out of Swannie's River Pro next week.

No comments: