Thursday, June 29, 2017

Platte Lake Pig

5.09lbs SBKO
5:15-2:00PM GOMH NE, West Point, F Flat, 3 Loon Flat
Conditions: 60-73℉, Cloudy to Partly Cloudy, WNW moderate wind the whole time
Water Temp: 66℉
I started off the morning catching jumpin' bullheads at the Grumpy Old Man Hole.  I got 3 on the V&M Wild Worm (14.75,14.5,13.5), 2 on a Jerk Shad (14.75,11.75), and 2 on the Savage Gear Armor Tube Worm (14,11).  I didn't get anything on the SW side.

I then took my sweet time getting out in the Trophy.  I lost some bites at West Point.  For instance I had the Wild Worm turned into a Ned Rig, probably by a pike.  I did get one small pike on the Tube worm.

I then headed to the eastern end of Fall Flat that I could also call Flag Flat for the 3 American Flags along the shoreline, so I'm just calling it F Flat now.  In the overcast conditions I wanted to see if I could get fish on topwater and that is what I did the rest of the day, but getting mostly pike instead of bass.
16.25" SBKO
I got a couple nice bass pretty quickly (16.25,15.66) on the black Shower Blows knock off.  I watched the 15.66 come out from under a dock and grab it.  It was then a hammer handle fest until I got to the pads on the West side of the flat. Then BOOM!
So big I couldn't boat flip it.  I had to use the net for safety reasons.  It put up quite a fight almost pulling the rod out of my hands at one point.
Got her out front of these pads
  I got a couple blow ups on a Bobby's Perfect, but only managed to land one small pike.  I also missed some bow ups on the SBKO along the dock to the West of F Flat.  I worked my way all the way to the reed bed off the point.  I fished the reeds for a little bit getting one dink on the edge on the SBKO and having a fish blow up big in the reeds, but miss the frog.  While I was still in the reeds a fish got blown up out over the flat.  The flat is a 4' to 6' deep area with cabbage that is exactly like F Flat, just farther out from shore.  There were baitfish all over the place.  I caught a couple small pike and was about to go in for the day at noon when the fish went berserk.  I got bit on 7 straight casts on the SBKO.  3 bass and 4 pike.  I only landed one small bass. The other two were both on and 16" class fish.  The pike all hooked up and were 16" to 22" inches.
Then I caught a pike of missed a blow up sporadically.  3 loons swam over and checked out what I was doing.  I am now calling this area 3 Loon Flat.  The sun began to break through the clouds and I caught a 15" bass on the Powder Whopper Plopper 90 and had a few fish miss it.  I then called it a day at 2PM.

15 Bass (19.75, 16.25,15.66,15,14.75,14) 15.34lbs for my best 6
20 Pike

No comments: