Tuesday, May 02, 2017

Some Bullheads Were Caught Tonight

Lantern Man's Slabber Bullhead
8:30-10:30PM  GOMH SW
Conditions: 58-48℉, Partly Cloudy, Light NW turning calm, Water level is up another 6" and rising
12.25" Glow Demon & Minnow
After my early trip I didn't expect much.  In fact I almost didn't even go.  There were two guys fishing on the NW side when I arrived.  I went down on the SW side.  About the time I started fishing the guys switched to the SE side.  Never seen them before.  We didn't speak to each other.  I should have asked them if the had gotten anything. I had a couple bites on the Wildeye Swim Shad that didn't hook up.  The guys went back on the N side and it sounded like they might have caught a couple.  I switched to the Glow Demon and minnow with the lighted bobber.  I missed a bite, then got bit off.  Those guys left as Lantern Man arrived.  He went down on the SE side.  I caught a 10" silver, which LM didn't want.  I then got a small (20") toothy.  Then Lantern Man caught the slabber bullhead. It was 14.25" with the mouth open.  I caught the 12.25" and an 11.75" pretty quickly and thought it was going to be AWWWN, but that was it for me other than one missed hit.  Lantern Man missed one and caught one.  I called it a night at 10:30PM

Early Trip:
17"  Minnow on the Cubby Rod
4:30-5:00PM Rock Dock
5:15-5:30PM Bulldog
5:45-6:30PM GOMH NE SW

After being out only once in the previous five days I wanted to get a feel for what is going on at my shore spots.  First stop was the Rock Dock, where I got that block and lost one other bass.  Water was at normal level and still on the murky side  Then I went to Bulldog where the water is up more than the other lakes and also clearer.  No fish were around.  At the GOMH the water is almost getting to my standing spot on the NW side and almost to the base of the stairs on the SW side.  I don't know why I didn't take a picture.  I didn't have a bite at the GOMH on either side.  Nothing!  That's why I almost didn't go out.

I'm glad I did go out Lantern Man was out several of the nights I didn't go out, so I got to hear about how he did.  Also the moon was out, it will be full in a week.  It got calm and the loons were calling and owls were hooting. It also sounded like a deer fell in the lake or maybe it was that beaver making all that racket, who knows.

The fishing should get good again here pretty quick.

No comments: