Saturday, May 27, 2017

Bass Opener Day 1 (2 Trips)

18" Horny Toad (Black)
5:00-11:00AM GOMH, Fall Flat, North Shore, Green House Bay
Conditions: 45-67℉, Mostly Cloudy, Calm to Light SW wind, Water Temp 60℉


I was so fired up to get out this morning I almost didn't get any sleep.  I was highly disappointed when the fish showed me they were not in a biting mood at the GOMH to start the day.  I had one fish meekly slap at the King Daddy.  I left after an hour.  So many boats seemed to be headed for the river I decided to call an audible when I got out in the Trophy.  I headed to the Fall Flat at the Northern tip of the reeds.

15.25" Rapala BX Waking Minnow
I accomplished a goal getting a fish on the BX Waking Minnow.  I also missed a couple of hits on it and the Shower Blows Knock Off.  I think one of the fish I missed on the SBKO was a crappie.  I wasted some time in the reeds throwing the King Daddy, not getting a strike.
Conditions were ideal but the fish just didn't want to go.  I did get a pike off the flat and had a good bass off a dock get off about 15 feet from the boat on a long cast.  I worked the inside weedline and got some dinks.  At that point I just needed some action so I headed to the North end.  There were three boats fishing in the vicinity of my "starting spot" for the Snatchers Tourny.  I stopped just beyond the Double Maidencaine.  I had something not get the Terminator right away, very pike like.  There was definitely more activity in the area than I had seen all morning.  I managed to get a couple of good fish on the Terminator Frog and a couple of pike.  I also missed some hits
17" Terminator Frog
Satisfied with that I headed to the Bay with the Green House. Haven't been in this Bay in years.  I lost a fish that buried me in the stuff.  I then had a good fish miss the frog in some pads. I worked the area with the Kinami Flash and eventually got a 15" bass.  I missed a couple of other hits.  It was now 11AM and I called it quits.  When I got back in Chuck and Lois were over fishing by Jenny's coming our way.  I thought maybe he would come and fish the docks, but he pulled away before he was in voice range.

In retrospect, I think the tough bite at the GOMH and the boats that I perceived going to the river spun me out.

10 Bass
6 Pike
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Evening Trip:
16.5" Terminator Frog
 7:00-9:30PM Loon Sex Bay
Conditions: 67-60℉, Partly Cloudy, Windy SW turning calm, Water Temp 62℉

I thought maybe I was eliminating water tonight, but instead I found an option.  I started on Loon Sex Point and got a 15" right away.  There was activity off the end of the point.  I then worked to the SE shoreline and found bass and pike there.  I caught some good ones including my big one for the day and missed some hits as well.  I pulled up stakes at 9:30PM.

For the trip:
7 Bass
7 Pike

For the Day
13 Pike
17 Bass (18, 17, 16.5, 15.25, 15.25, 15) 15lbs est weight

No comments: