Sunday, May 21, 2017

Tough Day Two Trips

14" Zoom Swim Fluke Jr. (GP)
5:00-6:50AM GOMH NE SW
7:20-8:30 AM Mille Lacs
Conditions: 41-43℉, Cloudy drizzle & light rain, less windy than last night wind ENE

When I caught my first fish of the morning I thought I better take picture of it just in case.  I did get one more toothy at the GOMH on a chart shad Jerk Shad shortly after that one.  I spent entirely too much time at the GOMH this morning.  Nothing was happening.  Finally I came to my senses and headed to Mille Lacs.  As noted the wind wasn't as bad as last night and it was coming a little more straight on to the Jetty.  I was able to fish the harbor mouth, but casting distance sucked with anything but a Rippin' Rap.  I had a good fish on briefly on the NW corner.  I'm pretty sure it was a big walleye.  That was the only bite I got.  I was getting cold and my lower half was starting to soak through thanks to wearing the Arctic Armor Bibs.  So I called it quits.  I went home and took a nap waking up at 3PM to watch Major League Fishing again.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Evening Trip
14.75" Pure Poison/Swim Fluke Jr (bluegill/GP)
6:40-9:05PM Off the Dock and in the Trophy NW Corner of Platte
Conditions: 45-41℉, Cloudy some drizzle, Wind WSW, Water Temp 51-49℉

I putzed around after Major League Fishing was over and almost got talked out of going fishing by my Mom who had just gotten home from Brainerd.  Conditions actually weren't that bad out on the lake thankfully.  I got a pike on the Horny Toad fishing off the dock and one on the white red Poison with Swim Fluke Jr. while water was being pumped out of the boat.  Had about the same amount in it as last night.  I then headed to the NW corner of Platte, most of the way at half throttle (it was a bit bumpy in the main basin through to the West side)

Once I arrived in the calm water I resumed throwing the Horny Toad.  I got up next to the bulrushes and had a pike take toad.  I swung on it and my line broke. Goodbye hook and leader.  Wasn't real happy about that development.  I stayed in too shallow getting a few pike on the toad and the Poison.
Loons came over for a visit
I did miss a couple of hits on a Grass Pig and Jig-n-craw in the juice.  I got the one bass out of the reeds near some pads along with a couple of pike on the bluegill Poison.  I also worked the West North Point but the water was 49 degrees there and a buzzbait wasn't the best choice.  It was getting dark, so I called it a night. Didn't hit the GOMH on the way home.

I ended with 7 Pike and just the one bass.    

No comments: