Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Make Up Your Mind Dave!

The view from the Trophy out front of Jenny's
8:00-10:00PM Dock and in the Trophy to Jenny's and back
10:30-11:00PM GOMH NE
Conditions: 65-57℉, Partly Cloudy, Windy out of the WNW turning calm

After a myriad of interruptions I finally finished the Snake and Clown Show blog and was ready to head out fishing at 7:30PM.  I realized as I was headed down the road that I forgot to take a pain pill and do my stretching.  I also forgot to look at the wind forecast.  My plan was to head to the Lake Place and pump water out of the boat from the rain we got tonight, fish off the dock, possibly go out in the Trophy or maybe not, maybe hit Bulldog, and definitely stop last at the GOMH.

When I arrived at the Lake Place one of the renters friends named Caleb was fishing for sunfish off the dock with a beetle spin.  He had gotten a few nice sunfish and some small pike.  After I got the water mostly out of the boat, which didn't take long because it didn't rain very much, I went and got a Horny Toad rod, Pure Poison rod, and Craw Tube rod.  I had a good blow up on the Horny Toad by the back of Sherman's pontoon, but I didn't get a good hookset and it came off.  Felt like a pretty good fish.  The wind was blowing pretty good, so I decided I wasn't going to take the Trophy out.  I talked fishing with Caleb until he packed up at about 8:15PM.  I missed at least 3 hits on the Pure Poison.  There were several painted turtles swimming around.  The wind started dying around 8:30, so I talked myself into taking the Trophy out.

I headed towards Jenny's throwing a Plopper.  This fish slammed it.
15.5" Whopper Plopper
  That was my only Plopper bite.  I did have pike hit the Horny Toad and two different pike miss the Gunfish 117, but basically it became clear that topwater wasn't the deal tonight by the time I got to Jenny's.  I fished my way back not getting a hit.  I went to start putting my lures back in the tackle boxes and briefly thought I had lost my Mojo with the Plopper overboard because I didn't see it. I was just being an idiot because it was the rod I was fishing with when I decided to stop fishing and I laid it down off the front of the casting deck where I couldn't see it because I was looking towards the back of the boat, duh!  I got my lures put away and got the Trophy beached a little after 10PM.

I arrived at the GOMH around 10:30PM just as the bow fishing pontoon with the lights underneath was passing into Platte Lake.  They said they saw a huge bass under the bridge.  I didn't get a bite and didn't hear anything get hit under the bridge either.  I left at 11PM.

Some days are better than others.

1 Bass
3 Pike

No comments: