Sunday, October 02, 2016

October Off to a Good Start

18" Horny Toad white/black
5:00-8:00PM Dock, West Point, North Shore of our bay
Conditions: 61-51 degrees, Mostly sunny, ENE light wind turning calm

Today was the 195th day I have fished this year.

I started a little later than I wanted to due to watching the Rider Cup and Football, plus re-rigging the Horny Toad rod and getting my tackle back in the car.  I started out getting 4 bass off the dock on a yellow Horny Toad.  I also had a good fish miss the Horny Toad twice, probably a pike.
14.5" ZHT Yellow

15" same ZHT
I then headed towards West Point in the Trophy.  I missed the first couple of hits on the Toad.  I caught a dink on the black Fleet Farm Spinnerbait.  I missed a hit in front of West Point on the Toad, then had the legs get bit off on another missed fish.  I switched to the Yum Dinger and got a dink and 14" bass on that.  It was now after 6PM and calm, so I headed to the North side of the bay.  I didn't get anything until I got to the weed raked dock.  A guy with his SO was there sitting at a small fire pit.  I caught a dink and 13"er in front of the dock.  The guy said they were novices and I needed to show them how it was done.  I caught the skinny 18" off the next dock along with a 14.5" while they were watching and commenting.  I had to explain that I don't keep bass over 14" long.  The 14.5" ruined the nose on the Toad, so I had to waist some time getting another one and getting it rigged.  It was getting dark fast.  I put on a white Toad.  I managed to get 15" and 11" on that as well as a couple of fish that missed the bait.
It was such a nice night I fished until 8PM, but my last caught fish was around 7:15 or so.

13 bass, and not a single confirmed pike

No comments: