Friday, September 30, 2016

Last Day of Sept. Morning and Evening Trips

A little the East of West Point

The point to the West of West point
7:30AM-12:30PM Inlet, Culvert, GOMH, Jenny's, Trophy West Point to Beaver Point
Conditions: 56-50 degrees, Cloudy to mostly cloudy, ENE light wind, water level falling

I didn't get bit at the Inlet, but I did get a pike on the West side of the North culvert.
21.5" Brovarney Jig w/Swim Fluke 
I didn't get anything at the GOMH or Jenny's. I headed the Trophy over to West Point.  Nothing was going on topwater, but I got 3 small bass on the Dinger and a small pike on the black/red Mills Spinnerbait with Swim Fluke Jr. trailer. on the first cast across the point with it.  I worked to the point West of west point missing some hits on the Spinnerbait.  I then worked back across the front getting a bass out front of our place on the spinnerbait.
14" Mills Spinnerbait Fluke Jr
I continued across the front, then I tried the reeds.  There were bait fish there but no bites.  Eventually I drifted in shallow along the W side of Beaver Point. Nothing.  I got just on the other side of Beaver Point dock when I had a good bass light up the Horny Toad.  Slow morning, but that hit made it worth it.
17.5" Horny Toad b/w
I also got a 21.5" pike in front of Sherman's out of the pads.  The sun was starting to poke through and it was now after noon, so I quit.

A Lot of Bites, but the Fish weren't getting the Toad
5:30-7:30PM Dock, West Point North Shore
Conditions: Mid to low 60's, Mostly Sunny, Light NE wind turning calm, Gun shots going off like there was a war to the NW;  They could not have been shooting that many ducks and geese, no way.

I got a small pike off the dock and missed a few hits, then it was off to West Point in the Trophy.  Missed several hits until I got to West Point on the black/white swirl Toad.
15.5" Horny Toad b/w
I missed a couple other hits on West Point.  The wind got calm and I headed to the North side of the bay.  Fish activity all over the place, but once again the fish weren't getting the Toad.  Finally I got this fish and an 11.5"
16.5 Toad
I worked my way down the docks missing more bites.  I had a good fish miss the Toad.  I cast back and it got it that time.  Booyah!!!
19" Toad
Kind of a skinny dude.  I thought it was gonna be an 18"er.  I kept working East missing a few more bites.  I got to the end of the docks.  I had a good hit, but the Horny Toad hook broke off, so I was done.  Don't know if it was a pike bite off or my knot that gave way.  I should have tied on a new Tyger Leader rather than trying to get bye with what was left.  I did catch a lot of fish on that hook and it was getting pretty dull, so not a big loss.

No comments: