Sunday, October 23, 2016

Morning and Evening Trips

18.5" Pure Poison w/Craw Fatty b/b
8:00-11:00AM North side of Don's Bay in the Trophy
Conditions: 39-45 degrees, Sunny turning mostly cloudy, Wind WSW W WNW, Water temp 47.

With last nights success I decided to do a little fishing before the Vikes/Eagles game.  I headed right to the reeds on the N shore.  I got a 17.5" pike right away on the Fleet Farm Spinnerbait.  I then had another fish hit and steal the Swim Fluke Jr's tail, so I switched up to the Pure Poison.  I was just about to try another lure when I got 2 bass (17.75, 18.5) on consecutive casts.
17.75" Poison b/b
18.5" Poison
The 18.5 was a chub. I got one other bite on the Poison, a 16.5" bass.  The clouds moved in and I started pitching the black/blue Terminator Jig with Craw Fatty in the shallow weeds.  I got 4 bass (15.5, 16, 15.25, 17) doing that and one 17" pike.
16" Terminator Jig w/ Craw Fatty

17" Terminator Jig w/Craw Fatty
If I was more skilled as a jig fishermen I would have caught more as I missed several bites, including my last one that might have been the biggest of the morning.  Getting the hang of that the fish takes it and it's swimming toward me is something I was learning more about this trip.  I caught a couple and missed a couple that did that.

Evening Trip
4:30-6:45PM North side of our bay and Don's Bay
Conditions: 51-45 degrees, Cloudy, Med to Light NW wind, water temp 48 degrees

I decided to hit the North side of our bay to start, a mistake with the quality of fish on the North side of Don's bay.  It's pretty similar water, but there is more cabbage in Don's bay.  I got a pike on the b/b Poison and this fish on the Slush Daddy right up by shore.
13.25" Slush Daddy
 I did have a couple of other fish hit the Slush Daddy and not get it. A little after 5PM I went to the juice.  There I got a 14 incher on the Slush Daddy and missed a couple more.  There was fish activity all over the place.  Eventually I put the Slush Daddy down and got two bass (16.75, 15.25) on consecutive casts on the Poison.
16.75" Pure Poison
I think I might have gotten one more 14 inch bass on the Poison.

No comments: