Monday, June 13, 2016

South Long Lake Pre-Fish

No pictures were taken
11:00-3:30PM
Conditions: High 60 to mid 70's, Mostly Sunny to Mostly Cloudy, Light wind N.

Tony arrived just about the same time I did and we were on the water by 11AM.

First we went to try Bailey's winning weedline from 2009.  I got a "beak" as Tony calls them toothy critters on the bluegill Piranha.  Tony got one small bass.  We moved into the reeds and Tony started catching a few.  I had a 26" or so dogfish follow my swim jig, but I didn't cast back to it.  There was incident at the only other tournament I fished with Tony at Serpent Lake in 2010 where I caught a nice fin and it crapped all over his back deck.  I thought Tony wouldn't appreciate having a fin in the boat after that, but apparently I was wrong.

Anyway I got a small bass on the swim jig and missed another.  I stared throwing the Spro Frog and a bait fish got clipped within casting range.  I put the frog on the spot, but somehow the line got wrapped on my reel.  The fish hit it, but I was unable to do anything and by the time I got the line unwrapped it was gone.

I also had a fish hit the frog on the other side of a thick clump of reeds, but I didn't stick it and got hung up in the reeds.  I also had a pike go after my Grass Pig in an opening in the reeds with some cabbage.

We then moved to the South most bay.  I got 1 bass on the bluegill Piranha and 3 others on a green pumpkin craw tube on a weed line.  We continued around the point and I had something hit my Fluke as I brought it off a pad.  I didn't get anything but a clump of rice .  Tony cast in and got a descent bass.  We worked the docks and didn't get anything.

We then went into the reeds and I got my best bass, about 15.5" on a white Grass Pig just after Tony caught another pike.  I pooched one bass for sure in the reeds because I saw it come up and engulf the craw tube.  I reared back and set the hook, but the fish must have spit because the rig came flying out of the water at mach 1;  That fish was at least as big as my biggest of the day.  I missed a couple of other bites and caught maybe a 13".  Shortly after that Tony caught another good bass and called it a day.  

No comments: