Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Late Morning at the GOMH & Evening at Rock and Bulldog


7-8AM GOMH NE
Conditions: A warm 62 degrees, Cloudy, Very windy out of the SW, water flowing into Platte, unfortunately the rain mostly missed this area yet again.  We really could have used the inch they got in Brainerd.

I could have been out there earlier, like 4AM earlier but I went back to bed.  Then Kaylee woke me up at about 5:30 AM and I dragged around, but eventually got out.  When I arrived a differnt truck was there than yesterday and the guy was going down on the NE side.  That was great as I was planning on hitting the SW side.  Sadly I discovered it was a fishing buddy of the guy from yesterday and they took his truck.  He was still getting fish, but not as many and smaller.  He also got a nice tiger bullhead.  I missed a weak strike on the Lamiglass with a Grass Pig.  And that was it.  The guys buddy came back after about 20 minutes, so I went to the NE side

I brought the camera, but didn't take a picture of my two fish.  One was a 12.5" jumper caught on the Chigger craw and the other was a 23" toothy also on the Chigger Craw.  I missed one other bite on the Chigger Craw in the tube and also might have had a smaller toothy get off.

I also tried the Culvert and the Inlet to no avail.

When I got home there was a message from the post office that my new fishing rod, a TD Zillion 7'4" XH Frog, that I won in an Ebay auction on Sunday had arrived and for me to come in and pick it up.  I was amazed because I paid for the rod Monday morning and didn't expect to have it for the Snatcher Tournament on Sunday at South Long

8:15-9:25PM Rock
9:30-9:45 Bulldog
Conditions: Low 60's, Mostly Cloudy, NW Wind diminishing to manageable levels.

Naturally I wanted to try the new rod tonight, but my shore spots have been duds for hollow body frogs this year.  Having no confidence in my spots and lots of  back log in my blogging plus the distraction of the Orlando attack lead to me getting a late start.

I elected to go to the Rock Dock because I haven't fished there much lately and it's the most protected from the winds we had today.  The plans changed pretty quickly when there was some kind of baitfish jumping out in the lake within casting range and nothing was going for the Ish's Frog I had tied on.  I went to the black Stanley Phantom.  I had something, probably a pike, boil on it, but I blew the hookset.  I've done to much of that lately on the rare occasions I'm getting a hit on topwater.  I tried a bunch of baits, but the fish weren't going for any of them.

There was a possible bass hitting something in the rice to the North out of casting range for the Zillion's, but within range of the Tatula's.  (Don't read anything into the difference in casting distance.  The Zillion has 65lb braid (I forget what brand) and the Tatula has 40lb TD J-Braid.  There is a world of difference between the two braids.)     Whatever it was it didn't want the Spro.

The Mosquito's drove me off of Rock and pretty much did the same at Bulldog.

On the way home 40 feet in front of the Kia a deer ran across the road in a full sprint. I barely had touched the break peddle and it was gone. Fortunately there weren't any slower moving buddies, chasing dogs, coyotes, or wolves.

The fact that I didn't go to the GOMH tonight to try for some golden bullheads along with my late starts tells you something about my enthusiasm for fishing today.  Hopefully I'll be more motivated starting tomorrow when the weather is better.  

No comments: