Thursday, June 23, 2016

It Wasn't A Sunfish

17" Chigger Craw pumpkin grn flk
7:00-8:15AM GOMH SW NE
Conditions: 58 degrees, N wind, mostly sunny

After yesterday's trip I was in no big hurry to get out.  It was cloudy in the East with no color in the sunrise. I started on the SW side. Nothing on topwater.  Got the first bullhead of the morning on the Poison.
14.33" Pure Poison/Swim Fluke Jr. White
It was a really good fighter.  I thought it was going to be 15" at least.  Then I got a 12" under the bridge on the Chigger Craw.  I went over to the SE side. No hits.  Then I went to the NE side with just the Chigger Craw.  I was about to go back when I had what I thought was a sunfish picking at it.  After about 7 seconds of that it got picked up and I set the hook into the 17 incher.  That was the last bite of the morning.

8:40-9:05PM Rock Lake
9:15-9:45PM Lake Place Platte
Conditions: 60's, Calm, partly cloudy, perfect topwater conditions

Tonight was to be the inaugural trip for my new 7'4" Heavy TD Zillion Swimbait Rod I won on Ebay this week.  Unfortunately I spooled the line on the wrong Fuego Reel, one with absolutely no brakes.  First cast off Rock Dock was a birds nest, which I had to reel in and untangle in the parking lot because a boat was coming into get trailered up.  Once they were out of the way I did a couple more casts with the Piranha and back in the car the Zillion went.  The reel is unworkable.  Fish were on the surface but I couldn't figure out what they were. They weren't really getting hit and I couldn't get a strike on any of the topwater lures I tried.  I left shortly after 9PM and went to the Lake Place because dad told me about fish activity in the rice.
20" Spro Frog
I missed the first hit because the fish silently took the black/red Spro Frog off the surface and it was far enough out I couldn't tell my frog went missing.  The rod got pulled down and by the time I collected myself for the hookset it was to late.  I missed a good hit over in front of Jim's Dock and a smaller fish hit as well.  I got the pike out beyond the rice out front of Sherman's. The skeeters showed up and I left.

No comments: