Thursday, June 16, 2016

Oh What a Morning, Trophy in the Evening

She's back in the water again after a two year absence
5:00-6:30AM GOMH

The county had done some mowing, which is nice.  Mosquito's were fierce when I arrived.  It was a calm humid overcast morning perfect conditions to catch some fish.    But all I had was one toothy swipe at the Jerk Shad and some small fish boil on the Spro frog and not get it, both on the Sullivan side.

I tried the opening to the East of the GOMH with the Spro, but it was totally dead there.

I went to Bulldog.  There was activity, but nothing went after my frog.  I gave up a little after 7AM

6-9PM
Conditions:  70's, mostly sunny, Wind out of the East

After spending a couple hours getting the Trophy ready, it was time to head to the water.  I went to the West access on Sullivan because if the Johnson gave me any issues I would be right where I wanted to fish.  I had the boat in the lake by 5PM.  I then spent an hour trying to get the gas motor to start and keep running.  At 6PM I had enough of that and put the trolling down and went fishing.

The point of getting out in the Trophy was to work on my pitching game in the reeds.  I got a poor hookset on the first fish that bit and the fish gut hung up in the reeds and got off.  The next fish to show itself was a small pike that jumped out of the water after the craw tube.  I stuck the next fish.
11.75' Craw Tube Green Pumpkin 
I went quite a while not getting anything, so I put the troller on high and got to the juice.  There the first fish I pitched up was a pike.  I then got a 15.75" and a 15".
15.75" Craw Tube
The fish were relating to the rice reed transition line.  I was satisfied with where I was it in, so I started throwing the Spro.  I missed a fish, but quickly got a 14".  The first on the Zillion XH rod.  I skedaddled back ramp at 9PM.  Loading the boat without the motor went as smooth as could be other than the bumpy ramp.  I don't like that access.  Me backing down was a total clown show putting in.  Thankfully no one was around to witness it.  

No comments: