Friday, May 23, 2014

This Mornings GOMH Trip

18:5"
5:05-8:30AM
Conditions: Cool to start, but warming to the upper 50's by the time I left, pretty calm and clear

When I arrived this morning no was at the GOMH yet, which was a bit of a surprise.  There was one boat quite away out on the SW side.  I started on the NE side per usual and quickly landed the golden bullhead in the picture on a white Grass Pig.  That was it for the North side and I was on the SW side by 5:20AM.  Jumpin bullheads were active there.  This one was my biggest.
18" Grass Pig
I got one toothy on the SW side and one on the SE side.  The Cook showed up and the guy with the boat left and came back with a buddy.  They started out fishing for panfish, but when the first guy started wrecking some bigger bullheads they both switched to those.  After my 2nd toothy I switched gear and lost a couple bullheads including one nice jumper that threw my Red Eye Shad when it was still way out there.  I went back to the NE side and got this fish on the D & M Baits Piranha on my very first cast, which I clunked off the bridge..
17"
That was it.  I went back and tied a new Tyger Leader on my #1 swimbait rod, a St. Croix LTB 7'3" MH Carolina Rig rod with full cork grips.  I tested to make sure the swimbait swam right and left at around 8:30.

No comments: