Friday, May 09, 2014

Fishing w/ Mike B. at the GOMH

Conditions: Occasional drizzle, cloudy, and cool.

I headed out to the GOMH around 5:35AM.  I was the third car and the second black Expedition.  Turns out the Expedition is blog reader Mike B.'s truck.  It was still dark out when I got down to the SW side, so I didn't know it was him until he started talking.  He had been there for a while and was getting silver bullheads fishing plastics only.  They were going so I started catching them to on the Cubby Jig head with no body and a minnow.  He was throwing everything back.   I had just finished telling Mike about the guy that got the crappies on the North side of Platte Lake when that guy showed up and started fishing next to us.  The three of us talked fishing while landing silver bullheads.  Mike got one that had to be 13" but I didn't think to get a picture of it.  My bobber looked a lot like the other guys bobber and I got confused a couple of times looking at his bobber while reeling mine in; one of those times I had a fish on.  Mike pulled out his fly rod and started getting bullheads on that.  He also got a nice golden bullhead on a Road Runner and a couple of jumpers as well.  The wind switched to out of the West and the bite really slowed down by 7.  I had caught 10 or 11 by then and I was ready to go.  Mike gave me some of his Monk Weedless Spoon's to try out.  I've seen him fishing them so I already had some idea of what they do.  Can't wait to try it out.  He recommends throwing it on spinning gear, but it seemed heavy enough to me that it should work on a baitcaster that is good with lighter lures.  I guess I'll find out.

When I was driving away I noticed that it was calm on the North side, so I turned the Expedition around and went and gave a few casts for dogfish.  I didn't get anything.  I then headed to Bear Traxx to get some leeches.

That was the only fishing I did today.

No comments: