Wednesday, May 07, 2014

2nd Trip of the Day to the GOMH (Slabber Bullhead)

Conditions: Cloudy with generally less wind than yesterday, but it did get quite breezy at times.  The weather stayed to the North and South of us on this night.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out I had it all to my self when I arrived at 5:20PM.  I naturally chose the SW side and  I started picking up bullheads right away.
16.25" Biggest Jumper of the Night and my 1st one

19.75" Golden Bullhead
One of the regulars showed up and he started getting some bullheads as well.  He told me that he got a couple on the North end of Platte while fishing out of his boat this year.  So it's 100% now, if there was a winter kill it was only partial.  It wasn't long and the GOMH was filling up.  A guy with his daughter came and fished next to me.  I've seen them fish here before in years past.  Apparently they had come out a couple of different times this year and hadn't gotten anything.  When I told them they came in on Monday, she said "See dad I told you we should come." This girl could really fling her bobber out there on her Ugly Stick Ultra Light.  I had one of those once, but I either broke it or had it stolen, I forget which.  We all caught them for a while than it got slow for me.  Peter showed up and I gave him the Berkley Sunglasses I won in the Abu Garcia/ Berkley Rocket to the Top Contest.  He was quite appreciative as he needed a new pair of Polarized sunglasses.

A guy who lives by Wahkon Bay showed up.  He said pike were in the channels and  it was iced up pretty good still.  Must be that all the ice that was left was on the West side because ice out was declared today.  I gave most of fish tonight to him and the dad and daughter.  I took home 3 and released this "Slabber Bullhead" that was my last fish of the night.
13.25"
 I got most of my fish tonight on a Cubby Jig head, no body with the minnow hooked through the tail.

No comments: