Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Fun Evening at the GOMH

First Bullhead of the Evening 15.75"
(I've noticed a lot of the jumpers are skinny this Spring)

Conditions: Partly cloudy to overcast and windy out the NE.  Temps were in the low 60's to mid 50's by the time I left

I arrived at the GOMH at 4PM.  Two guys were on the SW side so I took up the SE side.  I got two bullheads on the pink Cubby with no tail and a minnow.  The two guys left around 5PM so I went over to the SW side.  I had the Cubby bit off by a toothy bullhead.  I then went to the long rod my 8ft UL with T.H.E. Jig.  I got lots of bites but was having a tough time hooking up due to long casts, the wind, and my drag not being set tight enough.  Still I managed to land some jumpin' bullheads. A boat showed up and eventually came in pretty close to the bridge.  No one was on the E side yet and they weren't bothering me.  They didn't catch anything.  At some point  Chris from the Bass Snatchers showed up and told me about the bullheads they got last night.  Joe was with him and fishing on the North side at that point.  Chris went back to fish on the North side and somebody was fishing the SE side.  A cool bearded guy named Josh from SE South Dakota who is working temporarily at the Onamia Hospital came down and fished next to me.  I said he would have to see if his fishing skills were up to par as he hadn't been out in quite a while.  Because of the wind we had issues with our lines crossing and he had to cut his line once while I was fighting a jumpin' bullhead.  He got a silver bullhead within the first 15 minutes of fishing.  Eventually we switched spots, the boat left, a few more people showed up, and the silver bullheads started biting.  Josh was having a good ole time.  I think he ended up being one short of a limit because he was hoping for one last big fish. He caught at least 15 silver bullheads.  I switched to the Cubby rod with a white tail Cubby and  got 1 last good one on that.  I got the 2 for my limit and I think I got 13 total.  Didn't get any fish when I went to the lighted bobber.  At that point the fish had pretty much stopped.  Chris & Joe's friend was kind enough to give me all his minnows as I was down to 5 left.  I left right at 9PM.

No comments: