Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Morning and Evening GOMH Trips

17.25 Pure Poison
Morning Trip Conditions: Cool to cold a bit windy out of the W SW cloudy and it drizzled for a short time.
5:30 to 8:30AM

I may have missed two golden bullheads right off the bat yesterday morning.  The second one bit the tail off my Grass pig.  All I got for the morning were jumpin' bullheads fishing both the North and South sides of the Grumpy Old Man Hole.  I got fish on a Grass Pig, Mystic Minnow, Pure Poison, D & M Baits Piranha, and Powerbait Ripple Shads.

One guy that showed up fished off the bridge with minnows and could catch nothing but "green carp."  He wanted the golden bullheads like he got last night.  Another guy fished on the SE side and got some silver bullheads.  The toothy bullheads just weren't cooperating and my back was barking at me so I left at 8:30AM.

Evening Trip Conditions: Clear, Cool, Calm to light wind out of the SW
9:30PM to 1AM
17.25"
Originally I was going to rest my back after going to the Chiropractor at 6PM but upon seeing the Full Moon I just couldn't resist the call of the GOMH.  I arrived just as the 2nd period was about to start at the Wild Game.  Peter, his brother, and the guy from Wahkon were the only one's there and they were all fishing from the bridge.  Pete had just gotten there and the guy from Wahkon since 7PM or so.  I started out on the SE side.  I missed my first couple of hits,  I made what in retrospect was a foolish decision to throw my Grass Pig tonight on the swimbait head I got stuck in the rocks on Opener.  I had bent the hook out a little bit in addition to wrecking the hook point.  I tried sharpening the hook and it kind of worked, but it cost me several fish.  I got several jumpin bullheads and the guy from Wahkon landed a golden.  The action slowed and everybody left.  I tried the SW side, nothing.  Then I went to the North side.  Once I got down the NE side I missed my first couple of hits losing my swimbait tail to the second one.  I decided not to change swimbaits and was rewarded with the 17.25" jumper in the picture.  After getting a couple of more 16+ jumpers I got my swimbait stuck in the rocks.  I went up the bridge to free it and was rewarded with a  this 21" golden bullhead when I cast from up there.
After missing a couple more hits I finally came to my senses and switched out jig heads.  I was immediately rewarded with another golden who had obviously been feeding up.  The action quit so I went back to the South side where I had my 3rd tail bit off.  My back was giving me issues and I didn't want to stay to late, so I left at 1AM.  Everything came on a swamp gas Grass Pig.
19.90"

No comments: