Monday, May 26, 2014

I Got a Picture of a Bass Anyway

He'd been huckleberryed
6:45-10:45PM
Conditions- Humid, 70°F, mostly cloudy, and calm

Today we had thunderstorms at the house, but I don't think much rain made it to Platte/Sullivan.  I thought I was gonna get rained on at some point, but showers staid North and South..  When I arrived there were two cars and people fishing on both of the South sides, so I went NE.  Nothing wanted a buzzbait or Pure Poison.  But I got a couple hits on the Huckleberry and finally hooked into the one in the picture.  Not long after that I had a toothy break me off.  I switched to a Snatchin Stix and promptly got bit off on that.  I then went to a Grass Pig that has wire leader.  I think I missed a good bass on the very first cast.  I had a couple more hits then I got a small toothy that did in my Grass Pig. I then went to the truck and got my other bag which has my plastics and texas rigging stuff, I also grabbed another rod. I rigged a Fluke, the craw tube, and a Snatch Stix on the rod I brought down.

That loon that wrecked my fishing the other day showed up and was pulling the same tricks.  But this time it didn't seem to bother the fish as much.  Shortly after it finally left I I got a 15.5" jumpin bullhead that took out the head of the Huckleberry.  I switched to the black/blue Tonka Tackle craw tube.  I got a 16" jumper on that and a 22.75" toothy.  Peter and his brother showed up, they were there earlier and got one toothy.  He said a little girl got several small bass on a small crankbait.  I switched sides and got my first two topwater fish of the year.  A 12" jumper on the Stanley Phantom and 20" toothy on a black/orange Megabass knockoff.  An old timer who stopped by was more than happy to take that toothy.  After Peter left I went down on the NE side, but didn't get anything.  It's weird,  the mosquito's were horrible until about 9:30, then they just vanished. The lake looked to be down another inch or two.  We're still higher than normal though.

Bass 4
Pike 3

For Bass Opener
Bass 11
Pike 17

No comments: