Thursday, May 08, 2014

Morning with The Cook's Brother

Conditions: Cloudy with a bit of a breeze turning calm

I arrived at 6:15AM.  A little later than I should have after being awake for the thunderstorms that woke up the dogs at 4AM.  Another guy arrived just after me and came down to fish on the SW side with me.  Turns out it was Patrick's brother Jeff.  Quite a character.  He loves to eat himself some largemouth bass and told me all about it.  Anyway neither of us had a bite in 15 minutes so I went to give the SE side a quick try. Nothing and he started catching some jumpin bullheads, so I went back.  He started getting some silvers and I pulled a jumper, some silvers and two nice orange bullheads on the Cubby Jig head and a minnow, but Jeff was way out fishing me in terms of bites, so I decided to give THE Jig a try and the fish wanted that.  I didn't even have to put a minnow on for a while.  I hooked into something good that just stayed down, eventually I got it up and in and it was this quality jumper.  I could have sworn it was going to be 20" but it only went 19.33".
Shortly after that Lantern Man arrived.  He came out after Pat and I left yesterday and didn't get anything, but jumpers.  He took up the SE side with one of his relatives.  They started getting some silvers too.  Jeff was all excited about the jumpers he was catching this year.  He said he couldn't get any last year to save his life.  He filled up his limit of silvers with my help then switched to a waxie to get some orange bullheads.  He started getting them and got all excited about that to.  Here is one that had to be close to 10".
I took his picture only to find out he doesn't have a computer and doesn't find any need to be on the Internet.  At 10 to 9  I told him one more fish or 9 o'clock, which ever comes first and I'm done.  He decided he should leave at 9 as well.  I had my last cast in the water when he left. I got this silver on my last cast, the only fish I took home.
12.25"

No comments: