Monday, May 19, 2014

Off the Schnide

17.75 Swamp Gas Grass Pig
After getting skunked last night I was eager to have something pull on my line.  I arrived at the GOMH at around 4:45AM.  I only took my light Grass Pig/jerk/crank rod (6'8" St. Croix Avid Medium XFast) down with me on the NE side.  About 10 minutes in it was just dark enough that I couldn't tell what the small fish that got off right on the rocks as I was bringing it up.  I think it might have been a really small toothy.  About 10 minutes later I got a jumpin bullhead.  I tried a couple different jerkbaits, then I went to the SW side.  That wasn't working so I went up on the bridge and the 17.75" from the picture just inhaled the Grass Pig.  I got a couple more jumpers as the Sun was coming up.
 I had a toothy get off and had then a few minutes later had the tail bit of my Grass Pig.  That was my sign to get more rods.   I started off throwing a Yum Money Minnow and got a 15.5 jumpin bullhead on that as well as several hits that didn't hook up.  I went back to the NE side and got a couple of jumpin bullheads on the green pumpkin/chartreuse Brovarney Jig with a green pumpkin and then a California color Grass Pig Jr..  That was all I got so I went back to the SE side as another guy arrived and a boat showed up and started fishing close to the bridge.  I got a couple of more jumpers on an orange/brown Brovarney Jig with a green pumpkin Havoc Devil Spear.  The guys in the boat jigged up a 24.5" golden and a keeper golden.  It got really overcast, it was getting colder and my upper back was barking at me so I left at 8AM.

No comments: