Thursday, April 16, 2015

GOMH & Rock This Morning

6:20-9:30am GOMH, Rock, GOMH
Conditions: Cloudy, some sprinkles, no wind to a bit of a breeze out of the South.

I forgot to put the Flash Card back in the camera after blogging last nights trip.  I did remember to put the batteries in the camera after having them on the charger all night.  It's to bad because I would have got a great picture of a deer on the Rock Access Road;  The thing just stood there in the middle of the road twenty feet in front of the SUV when I stopped.  It was a fairly good sized deer.  I think it was a buck, but my deer identification skills leave a lot to be desired.

Anyway I hit the GOMH hole first to see if any silver bullheads were still around or if maybe some orange bullheads had shown up.  Nope.  But I got a toothy and a couple of nice jumpers on the Panfish Chatterbait and the Cubby Mini-Mite on the SW side.  The jumpers were really light colored indicating that they had just come up from deeper water.  I switched to the SE side and for a second I thought I was gonna get a shot at a doggy but it was a big toothy instead.  I'm guessing it was around 30 inches.  It circled around the area where I could see it for a couple of minutes before swimming under the bridge toward Platte.  I left at around 7:30.

At Rock nothing was going but a school of small perch that set up shop in the motor blow hole at the end of the ramp.  I stayed over an hour.

I decided to go back and see if anyone was fishing at the GOMH yet;  There was no one there but me this morning.   I got a couple more nice jumpers including a 17.5" on the NE side on the PC w/minnow.  I also had a 24 or so inch toothy follow the Chatterbait all the way in to shore on the NE side.  I left a little after 9:30.

We could really use a foot more of water to make the fish more comfortable in the shallow water.  As it stands right now "the juice' from two years ago has left over emergent vegetation even out that far.  If we don't see a rise in the lake levels a Horny Toad and Herb's Dilly are going to be my go to topwaters come opener, which is now less than a month away.  

No comments: