Sunday, April 12, 2015

After the Mini Storm at the GOMH

The water was ripping into Sullivan Lake
6:00-8:30PM
Conditions:  72 degrees and cooling.  Thunderstorms had passed and the strong winds that had been blowing out of the South the past two days pretty much quit and water was rushing back into Sullivan Lake.

I arrived about 20 to 30 minutes after the storm had come through.  For a little while I thought one was going to redevelop on top of me, but it didn't.  I was concerned enough that I put the rods back in the car and quit fishing for 20 minutes.  Once I started again I landed this small toothy bullhead on the Panfish Chatterbait w/ minnow.
He lassoed his mauw shut
19" Panfish Chatterbait w/minnow
After I took him off and threw him back on the Platte side my line got tangled in the weeds.  While I was getting that figured out another guy showed up and started fishing on the SE side.  He had done real well on sunfish on Sullivan during late ice.  He was surprised the fish weren't in yet.  I fished for about 20 minutes more then left for Rock.

On my way to Rock there was one new set of tracks going to the access.  Sure enough there was a guy there trying for sunfish.  We talked for a little bit.  He didn't get any bites tonight.  He caught a big dogfish in Rock last summer.  He said he is a walleye/muskie fisherman mostly.  I guess he fishes Bulldog for walleye and thinks all the smallmouth in Mille Lacs should be killed.  He got a bunch of crappies on Rock this winter.  I offered him a minnow and started fishing.  I didn't have a bite.  He left and I left at about 8:30PM

No comments: