Saturday, June 20, 2015

I Need To Learn To Cast, But I Caught Fish Today Anyway

The Rig I Cast With This Morning After Hitting the Bridge.  Note the wire leader tied to the speed clip
5:50-7:15AM GOMH
8:45-9:50PM GOMH

Conditions Morning: Light to moderate rain, cloudy, breezy out of the SSE, Temp 61 degrees
Conditions Evening: Mostly Sunny, light wind out of the WNW, temp low 70's,  water came up a little

I had to cut out two separate overruns/backlashes today from hitting the bridge with lures on a cast.  One cast in the morning on the Platte side and one cast in the evening on the Sullivan side.  Both on TD-Z103H reels on St. Croix 6'8"M rods (one IPC, one not).  The one in the morning with 17lb Sunline Defier Armilo line and the evening with 14lb Fireline.

I'm lucky I didn't break the sexy shad Jerk Shad in the morning I hit the bridge so hard with it.  I had just lost a fish about half way in and was casting back under the bridge in frustration.  I ended up putting the Jerk Shad on the Lamiglas Rod as that was the only one I had with that had a speed clip on it. I ended up catching two jumpers on that including this 18.5" and a 12" that almost jerked the rod out of my hand.
18.5" Ultimate Jerk Shad
I also got a 13.75" jumper on the Outcast Beaver on the SW side and missed a couple bites as well.  The beavers tail had been bit off before I got the jumper.

On the evening trip I had a toothy steal my Fluke on the SW side.  I ended up tying the speed clip on the Fluke rod a 6'2"M Avid after casting the Z-Man Chatterstick into the bridge.  I tried the Sweet Revenge Mad Maxx on both side of the bridge having fish boil but not get it on both sides.  At about 9:35PM I went to casting for golden's with the Jerk Shad.  I was just about to give up when this golden hit it.  Click to enlarge to see the mosquito coming at me on the right.
14.5" Jerk Shad Sexy Shad color
   That was the only one I got and I threw it back.

No comments: