Monday, June 29, 2015

Got Two Fish I've Probably Hooked or Caught Recently Tonight

Both bullheads I caught tonight were hooked in the same place in the upper lip, with larger old holes right behind where they were hooked tonight.  I was lucky to land both fish.
(Click to enlarge)


8:05-9:35PM
Conditions:  Hazy Sun, windy out of the WNW, Temps in the 70's

When I arrived there was a guy in a fancy wheel chair fishing off the North side of the bridge with who I assume was his daughter and the vans driver.  And there were a couple of guys fishing the SW side.  I didn't get anything in the 10 minutes I fished the SE side.  Peter arrived and started fishing with the guys on the SW side.

On the NE side the wind was such that I was losing 5 to 10 feet on the max distance on a cast.  About 5 minutes in I got a 15+ inch fish on the Spro.
15.??" Spro Frog
The next cast I made to the same spot, about 6 casts later,  I had another one jump on it.  I had it hooked in the more open area, but when it got to the thicker rice it buried me and got off.  I then had a small pike take a shot at the frog.  I got over closer to the buoy's and had 16+ inch fish take the Spro.  You can see where the fish was hooked best in this picture.  I was really lucky that lip held.
I left the rod where I caught the fish and walked back to where the camera was at.  I threw the fish back, then picked up my dipper swimbait rod.  I had a fish miss the Grass Pig on the very first cast.  Didn't have any more bites on the GP.  I did have a small fish take a couple of shots across the channel and something got annihilated by what I'm guessing was a big bass about 15 feet past my max casting distance on a normal day.  I went up and talked with Peter and his friend for a couple of minutes then left.

No comments: