Wednesday, May 16, 2018

GOMH Morning/Trophy In Sullivan Evening Trip

The Trophy Is In






5:00-8:00AM GOMH NE SW NE
Conditions: 55-65℉, Mostly Sunny, South Wind, water normal falling
18" X-Rap Shad Shallow 
I went through my usual golden bullhead baits (Grass Pig, Jerk Shad, Rippin Rap, Shallow Shad, Spro 25) and came up empty for about 25 minutes.  Then I figured out what they wanted with the X-Rap Shad Shallow and caught 3 (18, 19.5, 19) golden bullheads real quick.  They wanted it jerked in place as it drifted across the far end of the tube from the far side to the near side in the current with little forward movement in the bait.  Can't say I've ever seen that one before.  I caught a 20" toothy casting across to the riprap and an 18.5" toothy on the Poison/RaZor Shad.  I tried to make the Cover Pop go, but the fish didn't want that.  Same with the Horny Toad.

I went over and gave the SW side a shot.  I caught a 15" jumper immediately on the Jerk Shad, but that was it.  I got a 14.25" on the Craw Tube and had a toothy miss the Cover Pop.  Kind of pathetic on the SW side this morning.  I went back to the NE side where it was calm and had a fish give it's position away on the Sprinker Frog.  I caught an 11.75" and 15" on the spot on the craw tube.  I got a 20" toothy on the Craw Tube.  I missed a couple of blow-ups on the Sprinker East of GOMH and caught a 20" toothy on it at the GOMH.  That was it for the morning
15" Craw Tube (Brown/GP)
4 Jumpers
3 Gold
5 Toothy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I spent the morning and afternoon slowly getting the Trophy ready to go then headed off to the Chiropractor and Subway at 4PM.  We left for the NE Sullivan landing a little after 7PM.  I chose the NE access because I wanted to fish the SPRO and river mouth
8:00-9:30PM Sullivan Platte River Outlet
Conditions: 82-74℉, Partly Cloudy, Calm
15.75" 1st ever Sprinker Frog Bass
The motor started right up and ran just fine, whew.  Something it did when I took it out of the water last year had me a little concerned.  It probably took me a good 15 to 20 minutes to get the boat set up and ready to fish.  There was more straw and hay in the water than I would have liked.  No running treble hook topwaters in most of the SPRO this year.  I started out throwing the Sprinker as it's kind of a perfect bait for fishing these conditions.  I was just about to put it down when I got my first blow up and caught the fish.  I had a couple of pike miss it thankfully and missed all the rest of my blow-ups (about 6 or 7).  I also threw Mad Maxx and was equally inept at hooking up getting a 12" in the hay and 16.75" at the river mouth, which I arrived at as it was getting dark.  I also caught a 16" in the river mouth on a red shad craw tube after it was clear they didn't want topwater.  It got dark and thankfully the bugs that were hitting my legs weren't biting mosquitos.  A little north wind started as I went through the GOMH, surprisingly no one was there fishing.  I arrived at the lake place to see Steve had turned on the inside of the boathouse light on, but not the outside one like I wanted him to do.  I parked the Trophy just fine.  Right after that the wind really came picked it up a couple of notches.
Best 6 Bass for the day
For the Day
8 Bass
7 Pike
3 Eyes 

No comments: