Saturday, August 13, 2016

Pre-Fishing Rabbit w/Dennis

6:50AM-4:30PM
Conditions: 82-56 degrees, light to mod NW Wind, Mostly sunny to partly cloudy. About 5' of visibility in the lake and 2' or less in the pit.

I arrived a little late thanks to not finding the car keys in the car the first time I looked and also having to get gas. We drove to the pit side first to the weed line on the SW corner.  Dennis started catching small keepers right away.  We eventually switched to fishing some "cane" and didn't get git.  We started working North up the W shore line.  I had a pike break off my Swim Fluke Jr. Dennis caught a quality bass out of some wood.  I finally got a bass and it was a descent one off of the road bed close to shore on Lake Fork Craw Tube.

We went out a little farther on the road bed and I got a couple more 14" bass on the LF Craw Tube.  I had to put on a different craw tube after the 3rd fish wrecked the bait.

We then went and tried some more "cane" I had pike follow in the Horny Toad and got a small bass while letting the Horny Toad sink in a likely looking spot.  Dennis set the hook into a dogfish but didn't hook up.

We then went out and worked a couple of humps.  I got a small bass on one of them on a craw tube.  We then went to the SE corner.  Dennis got a good fish out a ways from a dock.  We ran across Chuck and Lois.  The apparently had found the fishing today difficult as well.

We then ran to the Lake.  We fished around the island for smallmouth.  Dennis had a keeper get off and I caught a 10" and had a follow by what looked like a small keeper.  We then went to a spot that Dennis says always has fish except it didn't.  I think I eventually did get a 14" on the breen Chigger Craw.  While I was trying to grab it.  My line broke.  My tungsten sinker landed in the boat, but the fish got away with my hook because I wasn't quick enough to grab it.

We went to an unmarked hump and got some small keepers.  Then we worked the weedline picking up a couple more small keepers.  We ran into Swanny.  He said the fish were small and not very many of them.

We then went back to the pit.  We worked the road not getting anything. We then went to the NE of the island.  Dennis snapped his line up by the rod on the hookset.  We worked our way to the N point and
Dennis picked up 3 nice fish along the way.  We worked the cane not getting much.  We then worked the weed flat not getting much but 1 pike for me on the H2O Wake bait and a small bass which jumped me off on a Red Eye Shad.

We then went and worked around the Island.  I got a small keeper on a craw tube and Dennis got a small keeper as well.  At 4:30 we called it quits.

No comments: