Monday, May 04, 2020

Morning and Evening at the GOMH



16.5" Cubby/minnow
5:45-7:00AM GOMH NE SW
35-37℉, PC, 6-18mph E

I did manage to get out of bed despite the fact I didn't pop right up when my alarm went off at 4:30AM.  I arrived just in time to get the peak light refraction from the pre-sunrise.  All I caught was some jumpers and toothy's.  I called it quits a little after an hour.  It was chilly out.

I went back to bed and got up at 2:00PM two hours before my alarm went off.  I used that extra time to get the Expedition cleaned out some and put numbers and the license on the Slop Slip. I was surprised the boat license showed up so quickly.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12.75"/1-3oz Cubby/Minnow

17.5"/3-5oz Poison/Swim Fluke Jr.
7:30-10:00PM GOMH NE SE Bridge SW
40-50℉, PC, 5-13mph ENE

There was no one at the GOMH when I arrived.  I decided to see what was going on at the Northside hoping maybe a dogfish would show up.  Nope, just a few jumpin' bullheads.  I did miss some hits on a craw tube so it's possible one of those was a dogfish.  Finally, around 8:30PM I couldn't take any more of the wind so I went to the Southside.  There were 4 people on the SE side and one guy on the SW side.  I fished off the bridge toward the SW side.  I missed a bite because I was paying attention to a guy on the SE side that was bringing in a jumper.  Then the guy on the SW side brought in a silver bullhead.  The guy who caught the jumper was surprised to be informed that bass is not open yet.  He was going to put it in a bucket, doh!  Haven't seen a C.O. this year, but the Grumpy Old Man Hole is not the place to have an out of season fish in possession. I got a couple silvers giving them to the guy on the SW side of the bridge.  He already had 4 or 5 in the cooler when I gave him the first one.  I should have taken the SW side when I had the chance, oh well.  The guys on the SE side left before 9PM so that's where I went.  A buddy joined the guy on the SW side when I was getting my stuff organized on the SE side.  I landed 4 silvers and missed at least that many more. The big dude was my last fish of the night.  I thought it was 13" for sure, but it just had big shoulders.  It did go over a pound.  I gave up at 10PM.  They were still catching fish on the other side when I left.

No comments: