Monday, June 24, 2019

What Happened to the Bite Tonight

16" Spro Bronzeye Frog (The Killer B/W)
6:15-9:30PM Out Front and Reeds Across
60-68℉, Partly Cloudy, 0-3mph W

We got maybe a little over an inch of water over the last day, so I started by draining the boat, which the sump pump makes quick work of.  Before I headed out it looked on the radar like a storm might be headed my way from Brainerd, but the skies looked like it might pass to the West. I wanted to head to the Reeds Across where there are almost certainly more fish than the slop by our place, but I had to do the smart thing and play it safe.  I headed East and quickly got a 13-incher in the Rice on a Big Sexy Mad Maxx.  There was some activity off of the NW corner of Jenny's reeds so I went out to investigate.  I got a couple of pike out there on the full sized orange Shower Blows Knock Off and had a pike and small bass miss the 105 orange SBKO. I thought great, this means the fish are biting.  I worked my way into the reeds and rice.  There was plenty of baitfish activity, but nothing tipping me off to gamefish.  Finally, I got a break when something got blown up about 3 casts lengths away towards the Beaver Dam.  Unfortunately, I shut down a little too late and spooked a follower and something else significant.  I missed one bite that may have been a bass and had something dogfish me that didn't go for the crawtube.  It was now about 7:30 and I checked my phone to see what was up with the weather.  The storm had completely dissolved so I beeline for the reeds.

In the reeds, I got the 16-incher about 10 minutes into fishing.  I caught a 12" on the green Terminator, but the reed fish clearly were not very active in the calm sun.  I went and got a couple small bass on the Hack Flippin Jig/Paca Slim.  I then went and tried the North bed where nothing was happening again.  On my way back in I had a 15" or so hit the Sprinker, but it buried me.  I then had a fish steal my Sprinker Tail cutting it in half, so it was probably a pike.  And that was it.  Rather disappointing trip.

5 Bass
4 Pike 

No comments: