Saturday, June 08, 2019

GOMH/Inlet Morning/Evening GOMH and Eddy's with Pete

Got a there a little late for the red sky

17" Yum Dinger (Brandy)
5:15-7:15AM GOMH NE SW, Culvert, Inlet
69℉, Partly Cloudy, 4mph S

Started on the NE side and got a small toothy on the Jerk Shad and lost something on the SBKO.  I made a quick move for the SW side and I almost waited too long as a guy was getting out of his car just after I crossed the road.  A jumper started hitting stuff on top so I quickly fired out the Shower Blows and caught it.  I got a couple of toothy's.  The guy went to the North side and a couple of other guys showed up. I got the big one on the Dinger.  As I left one of the later arriving guys told me he thought 6am would be early enough to be the first ones there.   That gave me a chuckle.  Probably not gonna happen in June.  I lost something at the culvert.  Caught 1 pike at the INlet and had a couple of other strikes.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
17 or so Grass Pig

15.5" Jerk Shad (Crackle)

17 maybe

13" Maybe
7:45-8:05PM GOMH NE SW
8:40-10:00PM Eddy's Jetty North Corner
80-74℉, Partly Cloudy, 4mph SSE

The plan was to meet Pete around 9ish at Eddy's Jetty.  I had to drop off some garbage at the lake place and took a swing by the GOMH. Nobody was there so I fished it. Had one toothy swirl at me on the NE side.  Nothing on the SW side so off to Mille Lacs I went.  The South Jetty had a family fishing there.  Nobody on Center or North other than some partyers at the North Harbor Mouth area.  Of course, I took the North Corner.  Started out throwing Ploppers, then a spinnerbait.  No sign of a smallie.  I put the two rods back in the car a grabbed the Loomis spinning rod with a small swimbait and the Lew's rod with a Grass Pig. I started out using the Loomis and something that felt small bite, but it was definitely a fish.  After about 10 minutes and nothing else. I switched the Grass Pig to 6'8" Avid and put a crackle Jerk Shad on the Lew's and started throwing the Grass Pig.  I was quickly rewarded with the 17-inch walleye.  I think Pete arrived a little bit before I caught the fish, but he had to rig up and whatever.  I lost what felt like a good eye and my Grass Pig wasn't in the greatest shape, so I went to grab another out of my jacket except there weren't any in there. So I grabbed the Lew's and started fishing the Jerk Shad.  On about my 10th cast, I was surprised to bring in a smallmouth.  After I released it.  Pete made contact with me.  A guy who was fishing with his young daughter hooked into a pig; I didn't get a great look at it, but it was 25+.  Pete came up to the North Corner and banged two walleyes straightaway.  I got a 20-incher that bit as I was reeling up to keep the Jerk Shad out of the rocks. Pete then caught the little smallie and just like that it was 10PM.  It was a pleasant night with a breeze to keep the bugs off and a thunderstorm off in the far NW.  On the way home saw lots of deer and a bear on Shakopee Lake Rd. 

No comments: