Monday, July 23, 2018

Morning With Todd, Evening with Both Bro's

Steve with 16" Platte Lake Special
5:30-9:00AM Jenny's Reeds & Access Across With Todd
9:20-Noon Loon Sex Bay, Channel Inn Bay
Conditions: 64-76℉, Cloudy some light rain, Calm to 7MPH SE S SW W NW
Water Temp: 75℉


I decided to start on the outside slop edge East of Jenny's.  It was a productive area last year, but this year it hasn't given me much at all.  I wonder if certain parts of Platte Lake didn't have some winter kill this year.  For some reason I worked us onto Jenny's reeds and Todd snapped up two bass out of the slop there after a pike missed my frog.
Small bass to start the morning

15.75" Terminator Frog (Green)
I then took us to the money hole/17" Hole, except there weren't any bass there.  The green Terminator wasn't fishing through the rice really well, so I gave him a black/red one to use.  He had a big fish miss the frog twice then not come back for it on the big rice point.  It just blew me away that we weren't getting anything under the overcast calm conditions, but there was literally no surface activity going on.
15.5" Terminator (Black/Red)
I worked us around the pad edge and finally, Todd connected with a couple good fish and missed a big momma.
16.75" Bobby's Perfect
Finally, I got in on the action with this good fish and another Platte Lake Special.  Todd then got his big one of the day.
16.75" Terminator (Black/Red)
And I got the big one of the day.  I was bringing through some pads when the fish just sucked my frog in.  I thought I felt something so I set the hook and there she was.
3.50lbs/17.9" Bobby's Perfect (White/Green)
As Todd and I worked back on the productive area a fish gave it's position away up in the cane, so I headed that way.  We got in the area and a decent sized pike skied itself missing Todd's frog.  A few casts later I watched as a bass grabbed Todd's frog.  Todd thought it was a pike and didn't set the hook.  I then told Todd it was a bass that was pulling on his line.  He got the 15.5" in the boat.  It was 9am and starting to sprinkle so I took Todd in.
16.25"Bobby's Perfect
Other than the light rain conditions were good for the fish to be biting, even though the fish really weren't, so I went out by myself to Loon Sex Bay.  I got a good bass right away a the start of the slop on the North side of the bay.  I then worked my way around the slop edge of the whole bay.  I had one bassy hit up in some shallow slop and a couple of pike hits and that was it.  The wind came up out of the WNW when I was about halfway through and the sun poked out for a little bit as well.  Didn't even get a hit on Loon Sex Point.  I then went to Channel Inn Bay.  I had a few pike takes and got 16.5" bass sitting right where he should be on the rice edge.  The sun came out so I quit.
Mal and Dev came down and did some fishing as I packed up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8:30-9:20PM Jenny's Reeds
Conditions: 75-72℉, Partly Cloudy, 3-6 MPH NW
Water Temp: 78℉

Since we had success fishing Jenny's reeds in the morning I figured it would be a good bet to get some bites with the limited time we had to fish. I had a pike come out of the water and miss my Bobby's Perfect pretty quickly on the windblown side.  As we got around to the lee side Steve and Todd both missed good blowups within a couple minutes of each other.  Steve got the first fish in the boat while we weren't quite to where Todd got the fish this morning.  I took us down Jenny's neighbor's boat channel and didn't get a single fricken sigh of a fish.  I quickly worked us back out of there then worked the inner slop/reeds.  I got a 15.25" on the white Bobby's Perfect and that was it for the trip.  Todd drove us back.  I must have left my notepad sitting on the back of the seat and it got blown out of the boat while heading into the wind
16.35lbs Best 6 Bass for the Day
 

No comments: