Thursday, April 21, 2016

Missed My Share Tonight

One of the Rowdy Bullhead Fisherman with a nice fin
7:45PM-12:30AM
Conditions: 66-52 degrees, Mostly to partly cloudy, calm to very light NE wind

Since I got such a late start today I elected just to stick with the GOMH tonight.  It was beautiful and glass calm out.  I was second guessing my decision when that nice fin was caught.  Unfortunately the rowdy bullhead fishermen are under the impression that it is illegal to release bowfin alive and unharmed.  I tried to tell them differently, but they wouldn't listen.  He told me the CO told this to him and I wasn't gonna argue with him.  So it's now a dead bowfin.  Fortunately they had one also break their line.

I was fishing of the bridge on the South side when I got the first silver bullhead of the night.
10.75" Glow Demon w/minnow
I gave it to Peter & Matt W.  It was pretty slow with a couple of silvers and jumpers being caught.  As it was getting dark Peter and has friends vacated the SE shore to try for bullheads off the North side of the bridge.  I moved down there getting one more silver and then Lantern Man and his friend showed up and came down by me.  LM got a hit on his first cast.  Occasionally I would have a fish take the bobber down hard and I'd usually miss the fish.  I did get a few nice silvers that I gave to LM.  Peter left without getting any bullheads.  I battled a dogfish for a couple of minutes before it got off.  Sorry I didn't get a picture, but just as well trying to land it on the SE rocks is treacherous.

The bullhead fishermen left, so I went to the SW side and got a silver immediately before I even had all my stuff over.  Turns out Lantern Man got his limit and was leaving.  I got one more fish before going back to the SE side.  I got a couple more silvers, including one were I tripped and fell as I was going to measure it.  A dying crappie was up against the rocks and I got to watch a bowfin, probably the one I lost, come and take it.

I was on my last minnow of the night when a fish took the bobber down hard.  It was probably a jumpin bullhead as it jumped a  couple of times and got off.  As I was packing up, I decided to try for the bowfin with the D & M Piranha.  On about the 3rd cast I locked up with something good.

Just a golden bullhead.
23.75" D & M Baits Piranha
That was it for the night.

8 Silvers (I should have had double this)
1 Bowfin
1 Golden

No comments: